Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scary encounters with animals

Never had any life threatening, but a few funny ones, the best of them (IMHO) was when I agreed to go out to Spain and fit my sisters kitchen.
    My sister + new husband, her stepson and I arrived to their newly built villa to find that not only the internal doors had not arrived and been fitted but the electric had not been connected either.
    So with a stiff upper lip we resorted to thumb tacked curtain doors and candles for lighting....until about 2am.
    At which point we were awoken by my six foot something, barn door wide nephew-in-law screaming..................

"SCORPION"

As first on scene, (opposite room) I found on the wall what appeared to be a Devils Coachman type creature, not a scorpion. The flickering candlelight made it look bigger.
    Having lived in Greece I knew what Scorpions looked like first hand.
    After calming him down the three of us retired back to bed..........to be awoken by a screeching scraping sound.
    He had dragged two fold out chairs and a sun lounger across the tiled floors to construct a bed off of the floor, how the sun lounger failed to fold, twixt the two, we don't know!
    A memorable first night in their Spanish home.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Never had any life threatening, but a few funny ones, the best of them (IMHO) was when I agreed to go out to Spain and fit my sisters kitchen.
    My sister + new husband, her stepson and I arrived to their newly built villa to find that not only the internal doors had not arrived and been fitted but the electric had not been connected either.
    So with a stiff upper lip we resorted to thumb tacked curtain doors and candles for lighting....until about 2am.
    At which point we were awoken by my six foot something, barn door wide nephew-in-law screaming..................

"SCORPION"

As first on scene, (opposite room) I found on the wall what appeared to be a Devils Coachman type creature, not a scorpion. The flickering candlelight made it look bigger.
    Having lived in Greece I knew what Scorpions looked like first hand.
    After calming him down the three of us retired back to bed..........to be awoken by a screeching scraping sound.
    He had dragged two fold out chairs and a sun lounger across the tiled floors to construct a bed off of the floor, how the sun lounger failed to fold, twixt the two, we don't know!
    A memorable first night in their Spanish home.

Rob
    Ye Gods....sounds like my uncle encountering very large sand crabs in my grandfather's house in southern Florida - scared the **** 'outta him.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    on a separate note I have been challenged by a herd of cattle whilst out with the dog (they dont know hes safe round stock), not a pleasant experience and very dangerous, quite a few folks have been killed and seriously injured by cows with calves in the UK in recent years
    Catlle can be bloody downright dangerous... C1991 I was workimg on a farm on leave and the boss had a bull who was basically given free range (two tonnes of Aberdeen angus is not easily persuaded) and the last attempt of getting him in the crush for his shots was to wait till he was pointed in the right direction then 'tap' him in the bollocks with the cattle stick... we got him in the crush but from the look in his eye I never went in that field again!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Trapper
    (Disclaimer – I am really drunk on red wine – thank goodness for spell check)

My father in-law (decease) was a farmer all his life and he was gored by a bull.

DON'T F*^#^K WITH BULLS!

When you F*^@K with the bull you get the horn!
    Last edited by Tommy; 14-04-2013 at 10:08 AM.

A heard of young cows galloping, (yes actually galloping) it was like a wild west stampede, up until then I thought cows were nice placid creatures. Isn't it amazing how you retain your school high jump techniques over a barb wire fence at moments like this ?. When I looked back at the fence I had trouble believing I had just cleared it without pause. I still have no idea what the cows were up to but I have developed a health respect for them.
    Also ninja seagulls in Rhyll
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Tribal Elder
    killer midges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Alone in the Wilderness
    I live just south of Houston, Texas and I kayak fish. Since a kayak sits so low, I've been eyeball to eyeball with several alligators. We learn to watch for snakes (we have several poisonous ones), scorpions and angry cows. Alligator encounters are exciting but they don't seem to hurt anyone. It still makes me nervous when one about 5 yards away goes under the water.

Once on exercise on Woodham Common we were all terrified by loud snuffling and troughing around our bashas. Eventually one of the smallest was dicked to be go out and check...

- turned out to be an enraged hedgehog...
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by backlasher View Post
    I live just south of Houston, Texas and I kayak fish. Since a kayak sits so low, I've been eyeball to eyeball with several alligators. We learn to watch for snakes (we have several poisonous ones), scorpions and angry cows. Alligator encounters are exciting but they don't seem to hurt anyone. It still makes me nervous when one about 5 yards away goes under the water.
    If one of those beasts rammed your kayak capsizing it, the beast could then bite you and do a death roll drowning you. And then swallow you whole.

Ya that would be real exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish111 View Post
    Catlle can be bloody downright dangerous... C1991 I was workimg on a farm on leave and the boss had a bull who was basically given free range (two tonnes of Aberdeen angus is not easily persuaded) and the last attempt of getting him in the crush for his shots was to wait till he was pointed in the right direction then 'tap' him in the bollocks with the cattle stick... we got him in the crush but from the look in his eye I never went in that field again!
    another man killed by cattle today in the paper, walking his dog... calving cows can be very dangouras.. especially when dogs ar around to get them nervous.