Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly rod practice

Never heard of bomber float's, How would you use them and what are they. I do some fly fishing here on a river, not very good at it though "catch more bushes than fish" and I can get some pretty good wind knots in the leader. One of my biggest problems is in choosing a correct fly. Black and Brown coloured flys seem the best choice.

Fly fishing looks like too much work. I used to spend many, many hours either on the pier, on a beach, boat or lake fishing and hate to think how much money I spent on gear. But then again I am probably only doing the same now with my camping stuff eh!

Abu stuff is top notch. I had various multiplier reals of theirs and several Shimano rods... I miss it now but wheres the time for everything?

Which river /s do you fish butchthedog, I'm Co. Durham / Cleveland can never remember if it ever stopped lol

Quote Originally Posted by butchthedog View Post
    Never heard of bomber float's, How would you use them and what are they. I do some fly fishing here on a river, not very good at it though "catch more bushes than fish" and I can get some pretty good wind knots in the leader. One of my biggest problems is in choosing a correct fly. Black and Brown coloured flys seem the best choice.
    Here is one rig for sea trout fishing. But I fish in lakes mostly so I use normal dry flies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duppbomberrigg.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	7722

I typically use a 50 gram one with a salmon rod that can take 20-60 gram lure weights. I use a 6 foot leader frpom the float to the fly. The fly is a normal dry fly. When you cast you stop itjust before the float hits water, that will present the fly quite nicely.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi

have a read of any of the john gierach books about fly fishing.. they are mainly anecdotal but amazing storytelling and im sure they could fan even the tiniest of embers..

cheers

nat
    We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Taxes-...s=john+gierach

This should wet anyones appetite..its mainly a selection of essays from earlier books, magazine articles and such..cannot recommend his books enough, even to the non-fishermen

Quote Originally Posted by nat110732 View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Taxes-...s=john+gierach

This should wet anyones appetite..its mainly a selection of essays from earlier books, magazine articles and such..cannot recommend his books enough, even to the non-fishermen
    Books like those have a tendency to bore me witless.

If I ever pick up a book on fly fishing, it will tell me how to do it, not what the author feels when he is out fishing. Thats for me to experience myself, without any ideas of how I should feel
    about it planted into my head.

And these days there is you tube. What someone has not put out there of know-how, ain't worth knowing. Watch - practice - know. Thats how I learn.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

...just trying to help!! you stick to you tube then pal if you are bored by someone waxing lyrical..if you want a 'chess manual on fly fishing' i'm sure theres plenty out there ..

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Which river /s do you fish butchthedog, I'm Co. Durham / Cleveland can never remember if it ever stopped lol
    River WEAR at CROXDALE

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Here is one rig for sea trout fishing. But I fish in lakes mostly so I use normal dry flies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duppbomberrigg.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	7722

I typically use a 50 gram one with a salmon rod that can take 20-60 gram lure weights. I use a 6 foot leader frpom the float to the fly. The fly is a normal dry fly. When you cast you stop itjust before the float hits water, that will present the fly quite nicely.
    Good explanation, never done that before, I'm thinking maybe some experimenting on the cards. I'll let you know what happens Rune.