Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hammocks

If you use a hammock ridgeline connected between the two ends of the hammock. You can adjust the amount of sag by adding more tension or by loosening the ridgeline, so each time you use your hammock it is exactly the same as you had it the last time you used it.
    If you imagine everytime you set up your hammock the tree's you tie to are different widths apart then each time you use your hammock the sag will be different to. But with a ridgeline will always be the same.
    If you have the correct sag with your hammock and sleep diagonally in them you sleep flat. Mine I can even lay face down if I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    [*][*]Personally I find a centre zipped sleeping bag used upside down as a top quilt works just fine with my underquilt and I always fell really snug. It can often be a bit of a wrestling match to get into a sleeping bag in a hammock....

Same as except I use an exped kip mat instead of an under blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    [*]...Watch Shug's videos.
    Agree with that 100%

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ing-adventures

Find your personal setup preference and you're laughing.

I've struggled with sleep in my DD Frontline until last week at "The Breakfast Club" meet, and I I've found my secret formula!

1. Don't have your hammock ping-tight, make it a banana. (I always thought tighter, the flatter. Wrong!)
    2. Under blanket + Mat in cold weather.
    3. Hot water Nalgene bottle to pre warm the flock and keep you cozy!
    4. Ear Plugs, ear plugs, ear plugs! (Thanks Ashley!)

...That, and your own bodyweight in Port & Brandy!

My personal preference.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Why do you need Ear plugs?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Why do you need Ear plugs?
    I wake on a mouse's fart
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    Leave no trace

I found the trick to getting into the sleeping bag last time I was out.

1. Have a ground sheet to stand on under the hammock
    2. Get into the sleeping bag by sitting in the hammock first, and put your legs in. Stand up on the ground sheet and pull the zipper up to about under your arms so that you can have your arms free.
    3. Hold the back of your bag up by putting the hood over your head.
    4. Get in, and you should be home free.

5. The ground sheet is also nice as an admin area. to store stuff on. And you can get out of the hammock without putting your shoes on to get stuff.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

There's a lot of good tips here that I have taken note of, That's what makes this forum work so well. There is always someone who asks the right questions and the answers cover all of the things that matter.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    There's a lot of good tips here that I have taken note of, That's what makes this forum work so well. There is always someone who asks the right questions and the answers cover all of the things that matter.
    hear hear!
    Paul

My YOUTUBE Channel
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by rodger55@blueyonder.co.uk View Post
    Hi guys
    Does any one here use a hammock very often? I've been thinking of getting one for a while
    but I wonder if the sleeping position makes your back ache.
    See if you think this hammock looks comfy ! I'm going to clone one for a DIY project.

Plus what a better salesman to push it on you than Shug ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsBGnwTi00