Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft bog roll

Bushcraft bog roll

I've heard of people using Sphagnum Moss, leaves, snowballs and even money! in extremis. Fortunately on those occasions when I've been out long enough to require it, it has always been in my kit. Just curious though what have others heard of or tried? and more to the point, did it work?
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

Samuel Hearne
    I have used a FFD (first field dressing) when on exercise as it was one that was used for the cas sim and was not needed any more oh and it worked very well.

Dock leaves...grass...triangular bandage....
    [

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV6dEF7agcU how to use 1 sheet of issue tracing paper toilet paper
    [

Foxglove leaves are a firm favourite with me, soft, strong and are found all year round
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Caught short last summer and had a packet of mossi wipes in my pocket, well it would be rude not to !!.

They were just like baby wipes but had the added bonus of leaving the butt protected from bites all day long.

I was caught out in the bush one day on army training in South Africa. The leaves on plants in semi-desert regions aren't large. In fact, where I was there were no leaves to speak of. Sand and sticks. I opted for a stick. I do not recommend this option. Wiping sideways with a stick is partially effective, but even with the thorns removed, the stick was ... unpleasant. Here's what they look like with the thorns on:

You can see how useless those leaves would be.

Ouch!
    We owe the debt of our blood to our ancestors and our skills to their perserverance.

In Iraq I used pre invasion 200 dinar money. They where cheaper than toilet paper and i could wipe my arse with Saddam Hussien every day.
    on my last trip I forgot my baby wipes at home, so i used snow...I have Morbus Chrons and have a had a good meter of small intestine removed, so i have chronic dioreah. That means 2-3 trips to the loo after every meal. Inclding in the bush....so next time the baby wipes come with me.

Else moss is a favourite of the wild kinds. And if I have running water nearby I fill a bottle and clean myself properly. At home we have a small shover nossle by the WC for that purpose. Itæ's something I picked up in Asia, and much better when you have to go 2-10 times a day. If not I use baby wipes.

Perhaps this was more infor than you wanted, lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I've never done the O'natural bog roll, I always use wet wipes and a nappy bag to bring them home in, never leave home without them... I find a pack of wet wipes can be used for a huge amount of tasks, personnal hyguine and cleaning pots and pans too.

When we are running courses we use a compost toilet and burn the paper as it takes too long to compost, just don't breath in!