Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clan of the Burger Burners picnic

Clan of the Burger Burners picnic

Hi folks,

Just like to tell you about our day out last Saturday. We were supposed to be heading for the woods for a night out but due to one thing and another this wasn't going to happen, so not wanting to waste our passouts from the ladies completely we headed down to our nearest canal for a paddle in the canoes.

Turned out to be a really pleasant day with little wind and bright sunshine. We saw a good deal of wildlife as we mooched along. The whole of the canal is a SSSI so always has plenty to see.

For ages now it seems, I've only paddled short trips here, either due to time or small children. So we took advantage and paddled all the way to the lock which connects canal to river and had our picnic lunch there. As it turned out it was one of the only reasoable spots anyway due to the flooding

Bannock and burger a filling lunch. Kept me going and staved off the grumbly tummy!!

We saw kingfisher and barn owl, a nice large flock of lapwings, the usual swan and plenty of geese. While at times it was hard to know where the canal was in the flood waters.

The still air was unusual for the area, we often taken advantage of makeshift sails while on this canal, but for this paddle the calmness offered some good reflections.

All in all, a great day! So good that I received a text message from Rich earlier this week to say that he now had to explain to his wife that he'd just ordered a canoe! I understand the negotiations went well and he's not sleeping in the shed, but really looking forward to the new arrival!

Thanks for looking, full story available on my blog.

Al
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com

Great looking trip mate!!

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by jacko1066; 15-02-2013 at 08:28 PM.

great photo's
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

excelent thanks for sharing
    [

Great post - thanks,

M@

Jealous don't even cut it lol. Excellent pics and did you find the Gruffalo Al.

You lucky BLEEDERS, can't belive you got pass-outs without it involving new shoes or aleast a new pair of jeans (LOL) great pics...
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Sorry, not sure how my post ended up on this thread lol

Tramp
    Looks like a great day out!

Thanks for all the comments folks, it was a crackin' day for sure. I can't claim to be responsible for all the photos as both Rich and Joel took plenty too, some of which I've used. It shows just how the technology on mobile phones has come on as that's what they both used for most of the pics they took.

Butchthedog: I'm still searching thanks, though to be fair it was a bit too bright and with too few trees for your average gruffalo. A few years ago I thought we'd come within a few hours of one among the yew trees at Kingley Vale in Hampshire. Out with the family we came across a really slimey fungus which I told my kids was possibly the result of a gruffalo having eaten some dodgy scrambled snake! I got some withering looks from the missis for that believe me.

Sar-ian: I was definitely lucky on the passout front which is why I was so intent on making the most of it. Not sure when the next will come and we've Rich's new boat to christen yet so I must start clocking up the browny points!

Al
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com