Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Under-age bushcraft knife ownership.....

Tribal Elder
    so long as you use it as a tool and responsibly you will get many a fine year from it, i got my first at 5 off my grandad, and still have it 30 yrs on, respect ,care and cherish my friend theres no problem owning a knife it what you do with it that counts!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    Do we have ANY knife laws?
    Heard about them years ago regarding legal blade length to carry, but these days, not really, just a "why are you carrying that knife" question will come up by cops, past that, only about switchblades, butterfly knives, being illegal, everything else is legal to carry. Lol, one point renting a boat at Opeongo Resort at Lake Clear, I was at the front desk and realized I had one of my Scout knives hanging upside down in the neck sheath, in full view, nothing said. Another time I was going fishing and had my Mora sheath knife on my belt, walked around Canadian Tire getting worms and some lures, not big deal either. Sure aren't any laws regarding minimum age for knife ownership though.

What makes me laugh about 'legal' blade length and certain types of knife is that most knife crime (ask any copper) is carried out with easily obtained kitchen knives. Even the late 70's early 80's the 'preferred' weapon of the football hooligan was the Stanley type retractable DIY / craft knife...were they ever banned ? Nope !
    [

Very true statement Sapper

Quote Originally Posted by hillm View Post
    HI , my names Max and I am a 14 year old, I really enjoy bushcraft and what it stands for. Now, i'm not going to lie, I own a bushcraft knife, I do not intend to stab someone, but merely use it to enjoy the virtuous bushcraft life style. I posted this thread as I am curious to what the forum's feelings are toward this under-age knife ownership.
    thanks for any replies
    Max
    There is nothing wrong with knife ownership, no matter at what age, it's what you use it for, and more importantly how you use it... If you use it as a weapon, then expect to get locked up, and I'll put you in the cell myself, however use it for a"peacefull" purpose and I'll defend you to the hilt for your right to use it...

Arhhhh just fell of my soap box and twisted my ankle.... oh well 4 hours in A&E
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

Nothing wrong with owning a knife at your age. You can even buy one. The law says no one is allowed so SELL a knife to any one under 18s Which stumps the buying one bit. But you can legally have one given.... go figure

I have used knives since before I can remember, but I got my own knife when I was around ten.

Here in Denmark I think it would be looked upon as quite unnatural for a 14 y.o. lad not to own a good knife, alt least outside the major cities. Though things are changing; especially in the cities many people regard knives as weapons rather than tools.

Wanderer
    Thanks guys
    What i am saddened about is all the knife crime has led to terrible media coverage and now any knife, no matter what kind, is a weapon
    The stabbings are terrible but i do feel that the media has overdone the affair
    the knife is a tool
    the user is the weapon

Wanderer
    even my own mother has fallen into the " all knives are weapons" London view
    there are people with intent to stab but they are the weapon, not the knife.

Wanderer
    By the way
    i have a helle nying which i cherish like a million pound note.