Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: axe or folding saw

if it's a choice between one, or the other, then it has to be an axe (multiple uses win's everytime )

but a small folding saw take up little room and weight is minimal. So in reality you can afford to take both
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Quote Originally Posted by HillBill View Post
    The 600g bahco is a more useable tool. One of my faves, but they need some work putting into the edge before they are any good. I'd recommend this for a first axe
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-Ha...0097223&sr=8-1

You wont go wrong with the Husquavarna
    +1 for Husq-y. They're real gems here in the US since the company is currently paired with Hults Bruks (however, Hults axes aren't sold to the US ).
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Wanderer
    I would take both an axe is multi-use and a saw takes up very little room. I hate to use a good knife for splitting.
    Cheers
    Doc

For that question I can give you a quote from the book "Bushcraft" written by Mors Kochanski:

The Saw and the axe are complementary in function.The axe is the more hazardous tool, requiring experience and constant attentiveness to use safely. The axe is especially dangerous to use after dark. A saw, on the other hand, may be used by a blind person under most circumstances. The axe takes weeks of constant use to master whereas the saw requires a few hours.
    A big saw and a small axe are a good combination employing the best functions of both tools when there is no time to master the axe. Most of the work is accomplished by the saw and the axe serves a back-up. Limbing is more conveniently done with the axe. Wedges are easily made and pounded in with an axe.
    The axe is more versatile and must be the first choice if limited to one tool. An axe may fall, limb and section any size of tree. Splitting and shaving wood, making and pounding in pegs or chopping holes in ice are impossible with a saw.
    The depth of a Swede saw's bow limits the size of tree it can cut though. Outside of this restriction, it can fall and section a tree with fraction of the exertion and with greater convenience in confined or awkward situations, such as cutting in dense growth or above the head. With the assistance of wedges, a saw can fall a tree in directions impossible with an axe alone, but the saw can not make or pound in the wedges. The saw can make squared ends and thin sections of log or boards, a different tooth arrangement (similar to that of a bandsaw) must be used. The saw is the handier tool to use when cutting stove-length wood.
    The axe is more versatile and durable, but more dangerous than the saw. The replacement for broken handle can be fashioned with the head itself if necessary. The cutting edge can be maintained with locally-found natural stones. In comparison, a saw blade is quite fragile. Unless a blade breaks near the end, it can not be salvaged. A twisted or bent blade is impossible to use and difficult to straighten. If the set or tooth arrangement is disturbed, the saw cut becomes progressively more dished, causing such severe drag that it becomes impossible to pull the saw back and forth. Without the appropriate tools to maintain its edge a saw will have a limited periode of use.
    A saw is easily trapped in its cut, a situation the experienced person knows how to avoid. A small axe can release the sawblade by chopping a tree.
    I can highly recommend this book!! It's really a great book with much usefull informations. And it's all well described, so that it is easy to understand.

_________
    Thomas
    Last edited by Psycho; 09-02-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    “Yesterday is history,
    tomorrow is a mystery,
    but today is a gift.
    That's why it is called the present

If I remember right, he also said, that it is not that easy to sharpen a saw =)
    Last edited by Psycho; 10-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    “Yesterday is history,
    tomorrow is a mystery,
    but today is a gift.
    That's why it is called the present

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    For that question I can give you a quote from the book "Bushcraft" written by Mors Kochanski:

I can highly recommend this book!! It's really a great book with much usefull informations. And it's all well described, so that it is easy to understand.

_________
    Thomas

Good 'ol godfather Mors!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Wanderer
    Good advice that says it all.
    Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post

Good 'ol godfather Mors!
    agreed
    [

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    Cause you WANT ONE ! I bought a "light infantry belt axe" from Chas. Townsend & Son. It's a revolutionary war period small "tomahawk" I got the forged one,not the cast one. Now I want the cast one (reply to " tring to justify getting an axe)
    nilo52
    Last edited by nilo52; 17-02-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: forgot to use "reply" button thingy

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    I must say that although I like both I tend to use a saw more than an axe, it's less tiresome and unwieldy but an axe does have its place, it all depends what sort of environment you're in and for how long, to be honest if it was a matter or survival and I had to choose I'd probably go with the axe even though I'm more used to a saw, but I'd forego both if I was allowed my leuku, there is no cutting tool I use more often than a leuku!
    AWW JEZZ, I don't want to sound stupid but what exactly IS a "leuku" ?