Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Spots

Tribal Elder

Fishing Spots

inspired by the can you catch and eat thread me and my old man got yapping about escaping the wummen folk and going to do some fishing and camping.

My old man loves river fishing but with severe arthritus and a fake hip I think the days of us rock and cliff hopping are over...

I was thinking about Spain after seeing Gareths pic but A catfish would probably rip my dads shoulders out lol...

Any suggestions?

I have severe Arthritus and I manage to wade some rivers and streams in the UK. I take about 15 tablets a day and wear a MOrphine patch to control the pain. NO the morphine patches are not for sale lol..
    All my fishing is rivers so I would ask you this:
    Do you want coarse or Fly?
    Do you want UK?
    Where do you live in the UK so i can put you on the right rivers?
    How servere is your dad, can he wade, can he take on bigger fish like a Barbel or Salmon?

PM me if you want

Ian

Tribal Elder
    hey no way!

Course - My dad cant fly fish.
    UK or Euroland
    We live in UK
    My dad loves salmon we have a salmon river in our village (Kinlochleven). Just going by size I think a barbel would be ok too...unless they have freakish strength?

Thanks Ian!

Tribal Elder
    P.S. I have never known him to enjoy wading.... Although he does have waders

Thats a shame you have some of the best Fly fishing rivers in the UK. If you want to fish accross the border you will need a Rod Licence. If your dad is like me he will be a Blue Badge holder and his yearly licence will be £18 for coarse fishing. Barbel fight as hard as salmon so i wouldn't recommend Barbel fishing. Either a gentle bit of float fishing or ledgering will suit him. Get him a Shimano or Drennan Rod with a Shimano Hyperloop reel 6lb line will be fine for most rivers. They are the lightest reels on the market and only about £20, I use that combination because i can't hold a rod to long and with that set-up i can hold them all day trotting maggots downstream for roach or chub. Each European country has its own rules on fishing and permit prices vary, they are alot stricter than we are and will take your gear if you don't have the correctpermits.. Most of the Ebro in Spain is commercial and set up for Brits wanting big Cats or Carp that makes it easier if you can find a commercial lake conected to a campsite. Going back to the UK if you tell me where you are camping I can probably put you onto some fishing spots.
    Regards
    Ian

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrown View Post
    NO the morphine patches are not for sale lol..
    lol........

My missus said to me the other day......'I'm surprised you don't eat more fish you know, being what you're in to'. The reason is because I'm absolutely DIRE at fishing! I know I'm doing something wrong, but let's say if I were relying on it to survive.....I wouldn't! There's some lovely fishing to be had here (Dorking), but unfortunateley it's wasted on me. Any pointers from anyone would be most handy.
    Cheers.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

I assume you mean Dorking in Surrey... If you like coarse fishing then one of the best Fisheries in the Country is on your doorstep Bury Hills. The Old Lake has larger fish but are harder to catch. If you are fishing for Tench or Bream fish from pegs 29 - 32 as you enter the fishery the pegs are on the right of the tackle shop. If you like Crusian Carp , Roach, Perch and Silver Fish go to Milton Pool it is smaller than the Old Lake but you will catch more fish, bait up with maggots over hemp any pegs are good I prefer the farside. If you are going after something to take home to cook and you want to fly fish, go to Frensham Fisheries. Its a long time since i have been there but i think it has 5 or 6 lakes , Buzzers do well all anytime, they have good hatches of mayfly and sedges.
    Hope this helps
    Ian

I've fished the river Mole many years ago as a nipper (no pun) and caught a few chub and rainbow trout. But for some reason my fishing mojo seems to need a service! I really want to eat what I catch as to be honest my experience of eating fish is pretty limited. Last trout was cooked a la campfire. No i didn't catch em all!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish supper.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	370  
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

I think the Mole is mainly coarse fishing DAS own some of the best Chub and roach fishing. Don't know about a day ticket was taken as a guest many years ago. Dorking Angling Society they where called then, I don't know what they are called now or even if they are still going. It may be worth asking at your local tackle shop. If you want to eat what you catch the Mole is not for you, but if you want a great day on a river its one of the nicest arround.