Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living off grid

we might leave a trace!!

Name:  steaming pile.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  2.6 KB

It's not the cough that carries you off,

It's the coffin they carry you off in!

Once the cabin has been there long enough and it has been proven that this 'temporary accommodation' was necessary to work the land then planning permission is easy to obtain for the house he wants built there...

The wording of it sounds like the makings of a Sherlock Holmes case...

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Once the cabin has been there long enough and it has been proven that this 'temporary accommodation' was necessary to work the land then planning permission is easy to obtain for the house he wants built there...
    Thought the same myself, quite a few "market gardens" in my area now have houses built on their original plots.

Can't knock it though!!

This is a practice that the local council here has caught on to quite quickly. There are a number of planning applications that I know have been turned down where smallholdings have been set up on very picturesque hilltops obviously with house building in mind.

Locally, the shop/market garden has to have been established and showing a profit/income for some time. I can't remember the exact numbers, but to give locals their due, most cases involve building on land they already own that is subject to stupid planning rules.

I'll digress to show the other side of the coin;

A mate of mine had/has an allotment that he used to grow a few veg and park his wagon on, he went on to put a couple of containers on their for storage, they, over time became a little bungalow, laid at a ninety degree angle to each other, a couple of doors burnt through them, some PVC cladding and he had a lovely home made home. Quite green with a bank of batteries, a windmill connected to a genny that re-charges his batteries etc, very self sufficient. Until the local authorities found out, they wanted council tax off him, but because he had no post code, they couldn't legally bill him apparently. They found a way though, can't remember the details but it came after he paid the water authority to connect him to the mains. He went to his dad's a couple of times a week with some containers before that.

Mains services connected can turn it into a permanent structure. Thats where mistakes are made which is why this farmer was saying 'off grid'.

I'm sure david cameron said something about relaxing the planning permission on extensions......so start by putting up an 'extension' first and tell them you'l build the house once you got planning permission for it

Relaxation of planning rules doesn't apply in Wales, It's an England only initiative.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Quote Originally Posted by wildish64 View Post
    I'm sure david cameron said something about relaxing the planning permission on extensions......so start by putting up an 'extension' first and tell them you'l build the house once you got planning permission for it

Lies, lies and more lies!!