Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Be careful Out There

Snowing a good one here in surrey,Paul

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Whats happening over there? Do you expect a hurricane or something?
    Rune

When it snows here in the UK, a majority of the population go into panick buying mode and clear the shelves of the supermarkets. We can't drive in it over here, even if there is only an inch or so. Motorways and towns come to a standstill and the national news sends reporters all over the country to report on a few inches of snow.

The British population love talking about the weather, confusing a dusting of snow with a 30 foot drift.

No snow here in West Cornwall though, just the usual rain.

Its hilarious watching people driving around here. They have closed the main route out of town due to deep snow which just invites me to go and see what it is actually like! The snow is drifting and compacted slightly but you can get through in a standard two wheel drive car with no problems at all . However there are cars abandoned on the side of the road as people just don't know how to drive in slippery conditions, it really is laughable.

Still, I enjoyed my little drive and the views really are fantastic when we get a sprinkling of the white stuff. Its been quite wet snow that has then frozen heavily on the trees that has literally snapped them to pieces. That side of it is not so nice but quite awe inspiring.

Wanderer
    Half the Drivers in Bristol were doing 5mph, and the rest were treating the snow like it wasn't there. Road will be no doubt littered with indicators plastic and headlight glass.

Other parties have cancelled a scheduled meeting in the west Midland, so 160 mile round trip a meeting postponed and just breaking out the walking boots for a "work from home" day here in North Wales.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Rune

Trouble is we hardly ever get any snow, never mind 'serious' snow. So the country doesn't know how to deal with it.

At the moment, my street has six inches (16cms ? I don't do metric) of snow and as it is a cul-de-sac, the council will not clear, or grit the road until every other street has been done, so thats about 3 days to wait !!.

Hardly anyone is experienced in driving on snow and ice. Most vehicles are just 2 wheel drive and harldy anyone has chains for their wheels.

So the country grinds to a halt
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Why don't you get some of these: http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggdekk

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Rune

Trouble is we hardly ever get any snow, never mind 'serious' snow. So the country doesn't know how to deal with it.

At the moment, my street has six inches (16cms ? I don't do metric) of snow and as it is a cul-de-sac, the council will not clear, or grit the road until every other street has been done, so thats about 3 days to wait !!.

Hardly anyone is experienced in driving on snow and ice. Most vehicles are just 2 wheel drive and harldy anyone has chains for their wheels.

So the country grinds to a halt
    A half trained monkey can drive on snow and ice. After all trhey even let me drive in winter. But I bet you all are on summer tires year round...
    You need proper winter tires for your cars. Here everyone has two sets of tires on their cars. One set for summer and one set for winter.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Yep, summer tyres all year around LOL
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

I had my winter tyres fitted before Christmas but the trouble is most other people do't use them so while I am ok on my own I still have to avoid the others.
    Seriously though they do make a big difference to the grip.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”