Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Save Our Forests - Britain Act Now

I'm taking that newspaper article into college (ecology, conservation and management)in the morning to show the lecturers and see what they say. Looks bad.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

its a disgrace theyll be nothing left in the end,i'll be signing it ash. in a well known local forest to me (haldon),they have chopped down a fair chunk of it they say its to return it to its nautural heathland enviroment you wonder if its true
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Alone in the Wilderness
    EVERYONE please also consider writing to your mp personally. At this stage it is one of the first things that we can all do to help send out the message that we are more than just mildly concerned. No matter how much I despair at some of the big government decisions that make the headlines, I have the hope that mp's do still listen to their constituents and make many decisions to argue and vote in parliament based on the views they do hear expressed to them. If we as individuals say nothing, then we certainly can't expect to be heard.

The petition (http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/s...rests#petition) is a good first step. I signed that back in the Autumn and although it has grown hugely, the suggestion that ALL instead of just some Forestry Commission land is at threat has come out since then, so now I have decided to write to my mp as an extra step. It is the first time I have done this, by the way. I just feel that NOW is when we need to make our concerns and opposition clear. If you look at the recent student protests, the government got what they wanted despite fierce resistance, perhaps because it was all done too late.

I'm sure the proposals being considered will be complex and will not entirely doom our natural woodlands. But we need to know more. I find it hard enough to cope with how little woodland we have left in the UK anyway, and how little access and rights we have to what is there.

Andrew.

PS swkieran, I believe much of Britain's heathland has formed in areas that were previously forest and have been cleared over the centuries for timber, grazing etc. This heathland has since become an important habitat for wildlife in it's own right. I'm sure many newer woodlands and plantations have since encroached or been planted onto heathland though, so that's not a simple topic either.
    Last edited by andrewcomber; 12-01-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

Hobo
    Signed and will pass it on I remember when they sold off the water even though all the infrastructure had been built by public subscription. Do these temporary con men have the right seeing they only got 20pc of the vote and a lot of liberals dodn't sign up to be tories. It's disgusting.

Dang developing millionares.

signed it

petition duly signed.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Alone in the Wilderness
    OK. I've had a quick response from my mp's secretary, basically copied and pasted from the government's Letter to MP's (http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/news/2010/10/29/forestry/). This reply suggests to me that my mp is currently putting little or no thought into this matter at all, and possibly hasn't even read the government line herself yet.

Of course I have written back to point this out and to ask if she will consider the implications of these proposals in her constituency, rather than just accept what she is being told. BUT, this does go to show how easily your mp can just let these issues pass them by if they don't get any hassle from our side!

So, if you've got a few minutes to do more than just sign the petition, why not write to your mp (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/)???

Signed it, and im sending it to my mates to sign. SAVE OUR WOODLAND!!!!

signed and posted to my facebook page and scout website soon.