Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can you catch and eat

you dont need anything to fish for sea fish and there are hardly any laws governing how use choose to take them (but if your a good fisherman you will not take breeding size fish) i go spearfishing in pembrookshire every summer, now that really gets your adreanalin going!
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rushton View Post
    you dont need anything to fish for sea fish and there are hardly any laws governing how use choose to take them (but if your a good fisherman you will not take breeding size fish) i go spearfishing in pembrookshire every summer, now that really gets your adreanalin going!
    I always wanted to do that.....you have much luck?

when i started i went on a 5 day course (once a week) with my local scuba club which gave me an insight into the many dangers of freediving. it really lengthened my submerged and taght me to paddle silently. i would highly recommend you go on a freediving course before trying it out as theres a whole number of things which can kill you (shallow water blackout, rip tides, hypathermia ect) and its pretty scary. over the first 3 days i spent there i learned from the locals which areas to avoid and on my first trip got 1 pollock. i got 2 more pollock and a bass over the next week. its a very exhilarating sport and so worthwhile, but extremely hard and i probably missed/spooked about 20 or so fish to get those meager helpings there was an old guy there who had been doing it for 20 years with an old rusty speargun and fins. he knew how not to spook fish and how to old his breath longer and got a least 1 plump bass every time he went out! i'm still pretty much a novice, but i've gotten better since then!
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Although a few months old, it may be still worth mentioning that while there have been references to UK Law and British Rivers, the law in Scotland is not the same as in England and Wales.

There is no such thing as a "rod licence" in Scotland, you only need an appropriate permit from who ever owns the fishing rights.

Graham

"A rivers authority rod license for the type of fishing you are doing

Permission from the owner of the fishing rights of the water in question which might not be the landowner since fishing rights are not always tied to the land that the water runs through (or sits in for pools/lakes etc)"

very true to an extent,the laws regarding fishing are infact 'acts of parliament' and 'statutes' and are not law,if you consider yourself a freeman on the land then only common law applies to you,an act of parliament only has the power of law if you chose to give it the power of law.

so go fishing my piscatorial friend!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.