Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can you catch and eat

in other words its a no no,just go and buy a fish from morrisons,cook it in the wild and pretend youve caught it
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Quote Originally Posted by swkieran View Post
    in other words its a no no,just go and buy a fish from morrisons,cook it in the wild and pretend youve caught it
    If you use a rod not a hobo and If you have a fishing licence you can fish Venford Res and Avon Dam for free and take 1 brown trout.

Quote Originally Posted by swkieran View Post
    Sorry we all burst your bubble mate...

I'm a bit of a fisherman myself and I'd love to try some non-standard wild-camp/survival fising (for trout) with a bit of line, auto-strike spring lever set-up (spring snare idea) etc but to do it, I'd have to break the law and break my own code of fishing.

Morrison's is unfourtunately your best bet and franky, it's a lot quicker and easier...Good luck.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Hi
    I can't remember all the UK laws as its 25 years since I've fished there.. But basically the licence is a ROD licence to a hobo kit would break the rules... naturally in an out of the way place you probably won't get caught as in over 15 years fishing in the UK I only ever got checked once by the river authority bailiffs.
    Some rivers and streams do though have their own private bailiff so you might find you get caught poaching...
    Anyway back to the original question... All the fish will be edible. But some are better eating than others...trout obviously are great and not hard to catch. Coarse fish are not generally eaten in the UK, although you do see them in Cardiff market.
    The predator species are better eating, ie: pike, perch and zander. So I'd advise anyone who wants to dabble to get a small spinning rod and a few Mepps lures and try for a predator. Its a much more active style of angling, and one anyone can get into quickly. You can be mobile and enjoy a walk along the river or lake as well. It gets over the image people often have of fishing being boring, just sitting there with nothing happening. You have to grow into the static approach.
    cheers
    Gareth

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Hi
    I can't remember all the UK laws as its 25 years since I've fished there.. But basically the licence is a ROD licence to a hobo kit would break the rules... naturally in an out of the way place you probably won't get caught as in over 15 years fishing in the UK I only ever got checked once by the river authority bailiffs.
    Some rivers and streams do though have their own private bailiff so you might find you get caught poaching...
    Anyway back to the original question... All the fish will be edible. But some are better eating than others...trout obviously are great and not hard to catch. Coarse fish are not generally eaten in the UK, although you do see them in Cardiff market.
    The predator species are better eating, ie: pike, perch and zander. So I'd advise anyone who wants to dabble to get a small spinning rod and a few Mepps lures and try for a predator. Its a much more active style of angling, and one anyone can get into quickly. You can be mobile and enjoy a walk along the river or lake as well. It gets over the image people often have of fishing being boring, just sitting there with nothing happening. You have to grow into the static approach.
    cheers
    Gareth
    Agree. Most exciting fishing I have done so far was Pike and Conger. Conger get the andrenaline going thats for sure. Evil looking beastie!

You should try catfish too mate...this one went 140lbs from the Ebro in Spain.

Cheers
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    yarr

Watch out for the weavers....they are still edible but make sure you remove the spines/dont get stung/cook em quite well. Luckily it looks very distinctive!

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/p...serweever.html
    lucky you mentioned that,dartmoors infested with them! lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    You should try catfish too mate...this one went 140lbs from the Ebro in Spain.

Cheers
    Gareth
    whoah thats a best....good fight?

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    lucky you mentioned that,dartmoors infested with them! lol
    Really? It doesnt look that close to seawater... be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    whoah thats a best....good fight?
    Yes indeed... That's my son in the photo right... it was about three years ago and he was only 15... Didn't want to catch any more fish coz his arms hurt too much LOL!!
    Cheers
    Gareth