Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can you catch and eat

can you catch and eat

can you catch and eat fish on dartmoor and other places,say you bought a telescopic rod or hobo fish kit with you and you thought to yerself i fancy sonme fish steaks for dinner tonight
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

I don't know Dartmoor specifically however I'm guessing there are trout in the streams/rivers but in the UK generally, you will need two things to be legal when fishing...

A rivers authority rod license for the type of fishing you are doing

Permission from the owner of the fishing rights of the water in question which might not be the landowner since fishing rights are not always tied to the land that the water runs through (or sits in for pools/lakes etc)

Paul
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

All British fish are edible Keiran, some of them taste better than others mind, Eels and elvers too

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltie View Post
    All British fish are edible Keiran, some of them taste better than others mind, Eels and elvers too
    yarr

Watch out for the weavers....they are still edible but make sure you remove the spines/dont get stung/cook em quite well. Luckily it looks very distinctive!

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/p...serweever.html

years ago i had a close encounter with one of those lol,do they live in the sea aswell cause it was one of the first fish i caught and was well pleased until i went near it it puffed up and hissed and being nightime made it worse,good job there was some more expericianced fisherman around cause i wanted my hook back but they just cut the line and saved me from a nasty experiance
    lifes good ,but even sweeter under the stars

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Weevers are salt water fish

Most fisherman do not remove coarse fish from rivers. To fish in our rivers you need a Rod Licence.
    Website: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ing/31497.aspx

There are 2 types of Licences:
    Non-migratory trout, char, freshwater (coarse) fish and eels - £27
    Salmon and migratory (sea) trout AND non-migratory trout, char, freshwater (coarse) fish and eels - £72

West Country Angling Passport gives you all the info on Dartmoorand the South West.

You should return all Brown trout under 12 inches. One fish over 12 inches is allowed to be retained on Dartmoor Rivers.
    Sea Trout over 6lb should be returned. Two fish allowed per day
    Salmon over 10lb should be returned. After 16th June you should return the first salmon caught and retain 2 per season.

Hope this helps.
    If you need any advice on fly fishing I will be glad to help
    Ian

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by swkieran View Post
    years ago i had a close encounter with one of those lol,do they live in the sea aswell cause it was one of the first fish i caught and was well pleased until i went near it it puffed up and hissed and being nightime made it worse,good job there was some more expericianced fisherman around cause i wanted my hook back but they just cut the line and saved me from a nasty experiance
    they live in the sand, I think they hide in it to catch prey leaving only their head and spines sticking out hence a lot of people getting spined by the little blighters

I seem to recall being told by a mate many moons ago that a hobo fishing kit is illegal on british rivers as it's not a rod. Something to do with the licencing. I can't remember the exact details but it may be worth checking out before you use a hobo line and end up getting a fine instead of a fish!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Alone in the Wilderness
    i bought a fishing licence a couple of years ago and found i was the only one on the river i was fishing that bothered. I was the only one that had a permit for the river too. it turns out as i remember it, the water belongs to the water orthority and thats why you need a rod licence but the fishing right's belong to who ever owns', manages or leases the river bank.
    so just be careful where you fish. But if the part of the river is tidal you don't need a rod licence as long as the river back owner, manager, or lease holder does not mind you on there land. you can fish in tidal waters from publick eareas, usualy without much problem unless sighn posted not to.