Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Navigational Tools Do You Use?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Well, I'm off out this weekend to try to impart some of my navigational knowledge onto my daughter who has now developed a desire to venture into the wilds of Dartmoor. We will be using map and compass and trying to navigate using the features of the land to find features on the map.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I carry a map and compass of my local area, but have never needed them as I always know where I am. Sandwiched between my mountain and the sea as I am, and always with a view to one of them. The only reason I do carry a map and compass is if I ever fall an break a leg or something, I can give an accurate grid of my location to SAR.

In unknown territory always a map and compass. But I tend to plan the route before I go out and stick to paths. And by looking at the hills and mountains I always have a rough idea where I am. I am never concerned with millimetr precision navigation. And even in unknown areas the map and compass stays in the backpack 99% of the time.
    I can pretty much "ditto" everything Rune said, except I don't live between the mountain and the sea...

I carry a simple Silva baseplate compass that I've had for about 15 or more years now, and about 10 years ago I picked up a similar Brunton baseplate compass to keep in the pack as a backup.

I've really only had to rely on map and compass navigation 3 specific times I can remember, but have used them as a guide when trails get indistinct and markers are sparse. I've triangulated a number of times to orient myself on the map and see if I'm near the summit or when I want to pick out the distant peaks in the Adirondacks, that's very fun to do, but you have to know the terrain somewhat.

I spent most of one day on a weekend hike doing "handrail" navigation with a friend of mine; following a spine of the land on a compass heading when the marked trail we were hiking just completely stopped.

All the best,

Josh

i guess sat nav isn't the kind of answer you were looking for ?

Trapper
    If that's you answer that's fine, I go out for enjoyment and satnav isn't something that interests me. I don't have any particular objection to it when it's used sensibly.

Map and silvia compass plus a homing pigeon,s sense of direction hence my signature
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

I use a Suunto ambit watch with this I can use it like a GPS and can also use it to record my performance. I use it almost everyday and I love it, however I always take a map and compass with me too as I don't believe it is wise to solely rely on electronic GPS
    Cheers Dave

Map and magnet, until I've been to the place before, then tend to rely on my sense of direction . I do take the map with me in my pack, just in case though.
    have a Magellan, but never found a reason to use it yet.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Tramp
    I have always used map and compass, I am a geologist by training so have a Silva 15CL sighting compass with a clinometer. I don't really need the clino anymore but the geologeek in me would not let me buy anything else! I rarely use the sighting mirror, last time I had to use the compass seriously was in the lakes, about 8 hours walking on the tops with about 50m visibility. It was nice to know that I could still remember how to use it. Walking around the pastoral landscape of Warwickshire can get a little unchallenging at times so it was nice to have a bas ass day out on some proper hills!