Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Navigational Tools Do You Use?

Trapper

What Navigational Tools Do You Use?

As the title says, I was wondering what navigational tools people use.
    I have a basic Silva baseplate compass, as well as a silly little button one and an old fashioned brass one that looks like a pocket watch. I'm interested in getting some type of sighting compass but the reviews I've read of those in the £20-35 range are all very contradictory.
    Do you use GPS (electronic devilry) or pace beads or any other things?

Map and compass, I do carry a Garmin GPS but this is really an extra and I would never rely on just a GPS. I have been in a very wooded area off track and used the GPS for a location fix to confirm my whereabouts when there were no visible landmarks.
    Regards
    BJ
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

When out on the hills for pleasure, Map, Compass and pacing. I use a knitting stitch counter for recording paces which is attached to my compass lanyard. I use a standard Silva Expedition 4 baseplate compass and have use that type for 35 years navigating. I can use a sighting compass but choose not to. I have a Garmin Etrex GPS which hardly sees the light of day - I use it as a nav aid not to be relied upon.

I do however have to admit to having and using quite a lot a Satmap active 10 with national mapping on 1:25 and 1:50...saves having the whole of the UK on paper maps or using bad copies on scene...however, it is on issue to me and is only used when I'm out on a job.... but thats business, and thats a different story.
    Last edited by Silverback; 10-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    [

I use a Silva Ranger S compass - one of these:

A map protractor with a romer scale, and some pacing beads to measure distance.

Oh, and a map...

NEVER rely on a GPS unless you have the above tools with you (and know how to use them)!! The batteries could fail, you could drop it and break it, or the circuitry could just give up, etc. And, in any case, it's quite empowering knowing that, with map and compass, you can go anywhere and look after yourself.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Actually to be really cheeky ....on a job I get assigned a navigator to do it for me so I can concentrate on doing the job Im not paid to do
    [

I carry a map and compass of my local area, but have never needed them as I always know where I am. Sandwiched between my mountain and the sea as I am, and always with a view to one of them. The only reason I do carry a map and compass is if I ever fall an break a leg or something, I can give an accurate grid of my location to SAR.

In unknown territory always a map and compass. But I tend to plan the route before I go out and stick to paths. And by looking at the hills and mountains I always have a rough idea where I am. I am never concerned with millimetr precision navigation. And even in unknown areas the map and compass stays in the backpack 99% of the time.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Where I go I know it like the back of my hand from the Pools of Dee right back into Aberdeen roughley 60 miles by road but a shead load of counrty but always have a map and compass in me bag also use the landscape as Im going.
    have trecked the Deeside all my life and never tire of it.

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I use a map and compass. Have a Garmin Etrex in my rucksack, in case my skills let me down. None of these things are any good unless you know how to use them. I have walked with teams who were several kilometres away from where they thought they were and seen people who had the wrong settings in their GPS which put them at the wrong grid reference! Knowledge of the area you are walking in is great but, in unfamiliar territory, knowing how to read a map is the best knowledge you can have, in my opinion. Being able to navigate in an unfamiliar place with a map and no compass is great fun.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was taught to navigate via Map & Compass tell tale signs of the terrain also by the stars which
    was used during Gulf War I, Garmin GPS still got my original issue G.W I 'Opo Gransby'
    serviced by Garmin no issues with that, used since theatres of operation both Mil/Civie.
    NATO Brass Button Compass E&E (as issued), Silva Ranger compass, RA Protractor & still use
    my RA 69 NATO Prismatic Compass (my mates son has that just now for the Scouts).
    I have used a Sextant too.
    Regards
    David

What measurement method do people use - degrees or mils?

I suspect those with military training, or had to navigate over proper large areas, probably use mils.

For my needs I use degrees, but occasionally thought about going over to mils.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/