Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Garden Bushcraft

Trapper
    Well, with the kids packed off to the in-laws, a clear sky for a change, and a new mora clipper to try out, I went out in the garden.

First up, feathering sticks with the mora, so much easier than with the penknife or ancient folding knife I had been doing. Its a comfortable blade to hold and use, and just feel right. I'll admit that I was expecting it to feel flimsy and cheap given how much these cost.

Secondly, with some wood feathered, I decided to light my mKettle to get the wter for a brew. Normally, I use my firesteel onto some cotton wool in the mKettle's base and then surrond that with wood until its burning enough to use the feathered sticks, but I decided to try putting a smaller piece of cotton wool into a small bundle of hay (left over from my guinea pigs who died this weekend) and position that right next to the firesteel, like I've seen some of the guys on here do on the videos. Yup, that works wonderfully, so thats 2 skills I've used today that I learnt from NBC.

Thirdly, in all the talk of billy can meals and camp food, someone mentioned corned beef hash, and that just had to be made. And I thought chopping the potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and corned beef would be a good test of the mora's multi-functionality, and i'd get a chance to see if I can actually cook on esbit.

Given my eyesight problems, I cut my fingers fairly regularly when cooking, so have a fairly well stocked first aid kit in the kitchen. Its a good job as well, because the mora really doesn't take any prisoners and will go through potato and finger with equal ease... Of the 2 cuts I managed, one I didn't feel but bleed like there was no tomorrow, and one removed a small chunk of skin and flesh around a knuckle. Reason learnt... Never use the mora when I'm on my own, its just too sharp.

As far as the cooking goes, I can't seem to get esbit fuel right. It either burns out too quickly, or doesn't get hot enough to boil water or cook onions through. I'm guessing theres a trick with it i'm missing. It did a good enough job though, and my potatoes were lightly 'boiled' to the point of just turning soft, and the fat around the corned beef melted and let me fry the onions, mushrooms and beef. It tasted good, and thats the main thing, and i'm now pretty confident that if I come across a farm while i'm walking hadrians wall selling veg, I could get a few and make a half decent meal.

Tribal Elder
    its just practice practice practice pal, keep trying and learning plenty of vids on here and youtube to help. good luck and enjoy!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

sounds like you had fun BG only 3 weeks to go till you meet up with us for another try too
    [

Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post
    Well, with the kids packed off to the in-laws, a clear sky for a change, and a new mora clipper to try out, I went out in the garden.

First up, feathering sticks with the mora, so much easier than with the penknife or ancient folding knife I had been doing. Its a comfortable blade to hold and use, and just feel right. I'll admit that I was expecting it to feel flimsy and cheap given how much these cost.

Secondly, with some wood feathered, I decided to light my mKettle to get the wter for a brew. Normally, I use my firesteel onto some cotton wool in the mKettle's base and then surrond that with wood until its burning enough to use the feathered sticks, but I decided to try putting a smaller piece of cotton wool into a small bundle of hay (left over from my guinea pigs who died this weekend) and position that right next to the firesteel, like I've seen some of the guys on here do on the videos. Yup, that works wonderfully, so thats 2 skills I've used today that I learnt from NBC.

Thirdly, in all the talk of billy can meals and camp food, someone mentioned corned beef hash, and that just had to be made. And I thought chopping the potatoes, onion, mushrooms, and corned beef would be a good test of the mora's multi-functionality, and i'd get a chance to see if I can actually cook on esbit.

Given my eyesight problems, I cut my fingers fairly regularly when cooking, so have a fairly well stocked first aid kit in the kitchen. Its a good job as well, because the mora really doesn't take any prisoners and will go through potato and finger with equal ease... Of the 2 cuts I managed, one I didn't feel but bleed like there was no tomorrow, and one removed a small chunk of skin and flesh around a knuckle. Reason learnt... Never use the mora when I'm on my own, its just too sharp.

As far as the cooking goes, I can't seem to get esbit fuel right. It either burns out too quickly, or doesn't get hot enough to boil water or cook onions through. I'm guessing theres a trick with it i'm missing. It did a good enough job though, and my potatoes were lightly 'boiled' to the point of just turning soft, and the fat around the corned beef melted and let me fry the onions, mushrooms and beef. It tasted good, and thats the main thing, and i'm now pretty confident that if I come across a farm while i'm walking hadrians wall selling veg, I could get a few and make a half decent meal.
    Hi Geek.

I read your post with interest since my brother is totally blind and his fingers also have about the same resistance as spuds when they meet a blade. It got me thinking, have you considered investing in a butcher's glove? Sure the full chain mail ones are expensive but there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butchers-Fis...sr=1-2-catcorr).

I know it's a pain having to glove up each you need to use your knife but that must be preferable to not having fingers?

Anyway, thanks for the post and enjoy Hadrian's wall.

M@

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Hi Geek.

I read your post with interest since my brother is totally blind and his fingers also have about the same resistance as spuds when they meet a blade. It got me thinking, have you considered investing in a butcher's glove? Sure the full chain mail ones are expensive but there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butchers-Fis...sr=1-2-catcorr).

I know it's a pain having to glove up each you need to use your knife but that must be preferable to not having fingers?

M@
    Stunningly simple solution...well suggested Matt, and as someone who has used one I can vouch for the effectiveness of them
    [

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    sounds like you had fun BG only 3 weeks to go till you meet up with us for another try too
    I'm not coming to the jan meetup, it's my sons birthday that weekend. I fully intend to make it to one in march if you do one though.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Hi Geek.

M@
    I actually have one kicking around the kitchen somewhere, got one when my vision first went from 2 images to 4 images and I did my white stick training. The main problem is seeing where I left it and remembering to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post
    I'm not coming to the jan meetup, it's my sons birthday that weekend. I fully intend to make it to one in march if you do one though.
    Oh...sure I had you down for Jan...never mind. Hoping March may be in a different, free and very private location
    [

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Oh...sure I had you down for Jan...never mind. Hoping March may be in a different, free and very private location
    private sounds good lol
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Quote Originally Posted by alvino78 View Post
    private sounds good lol
    100 acres private mixed broadleaved and coniferous forest......and all MINE !!! Just hope it comes off, fingers and toes crossed
    [