Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Garden Bushcraft

Trapper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121213-00386.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	6164
    Ok, so its not the best pegged out tarp, but in my defence, I was doing it in the dark with only a headtorch, there was freezing fog, its my first tarp, the ground was frozen, and I can't see
    Still, I got to have a brew out in the garden while sitting under my new tarp.
    Last edited by blindgeekuk; 13-12-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I can't spell first...

Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post

Ok, so its not the best pegged out tarp, but in my defence, I was doing it in the dark with only a headtorch, there was freezing fog, its my first tarp, the ground was frozen, and I can't see
    No but it will be next time......not bad thing to practice in the garden and get it wrong there rather than it all going pear shaped at the worst possible time
    [

Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post

Practice makes perfect! That tarp looks like it would of been perfect if your poles were further apart and then staked out again tightly. Well done for getting out there and giving it a go
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

Trapper
    Trouble is, the tarp is bigger than the free space on my grass.

Poles were definitely not far enough apart and their guys weren't tight (one was looped round a kids slide, the other the patio door handle). Theres also a guy rope on the decathlon in the middle of the ridgeline which I wasn't expecting, so some of the sag is that. I need to check in daylight if theres any guy points on the middle of the edges, if not, the Clingons I got would help there.

I'll admit that it was a bit daunting trying to do my first tarp in the dark, but once I figured out to treat it like an old style ridge tent, it went up a breeze. I can certainly see the appeal in the openness in good weather.

Trapper
    Nothing wrong with garden bushcraft, I am off next week I am going to home my skills of flint, steel and charcloth fire lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom View Post
    Nothing wrong with garden bushcraft, I am off next week I am going to home my skills of flint, steel and charcloth fire lighting.
    I think that you are selling yourself short there fella. I've seen you use flint and steel first hand, and you have nothing to improve upon at all.

Ade.

Had a go today with flint and steel, conditions not great bit windy with light drizzle, got my tinder bundle burning well so I'm happy with that, made some pillar candles from wax stubs and waste wax using empty soup tins as moulds, and made a batch of char cloth from old denim, back garden bushcraft... nothing wrong with it great for practice
    [

Peasant
    Been making a couple of meths stoves this week. One beer can one and one from an aluminium bottle..Will be testing tomorrow in the garden.

Really glad it is not just me practicing out back!

Rather kit fail there than anywhere else but sometimes I just go out there to light the stove and make a brew..
    My Blog - The Outdoorist - http://theoutdoorist.blogspot.co.uk/

[QUOTE=

Rather kit fail there than anywhere else but sometimes I just go out there to light the stove and make a brew.. [/QUOTE]

So do I !! Paul