Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good day sack?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I really like a shoulder bag
    Ive taken to combining the two for overnighters so I have a issue NI Pack and an issue grab bag - i appreciate where youre coming from with the shoulder bag great for instant access to bits and bobs
    [

What about a comfy day sack combined with a nice leather belt bag for all those bits n bobs I'm sure I could find someone to make you one
    couldn't resist a bit of self advertising
    Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

I have an LL Bean Continental rucksack which I use for nearly all of my outings - http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54123...ental-rucksack
    It is quite comfortable (the straps, back panel, and hip strap have thick padding) and has a capacity of 2000 cubic inches (5080 cubic cm) - it holds nearly all of my bushcrafting gear including my Gränsfors Small Forest Axe. Fantastic bit of kit IMO.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4315.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	6381
    LL Bean does ship to the UK .
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 09-01-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: confounded grammatical errors
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

for day to day stuff I use a 40 litre Vango rucksack that I had as a school bag back in the day - it's had regular use since 1994 and although it leaks and is a bit shabby now it's still functional and does everything I need for a days walk. For bigger trips I have an army surplus bergen - again old and shabby but functional and comfy! Would like new bags really but I'd rather spend the pennies on other toys!

i have a 5:11 rush 12. Which I got secondhand which I use as a day sack. I can fit my large knife, cooking set, food/snacks, binos, and loads of bits first aid kit, torch, tinder, fire steel etc. Plus lightweight waterproofs, gloves and hat. it is a military pack with molle strapping. I love this pack its extremely comfortable and very robust. The best thing is it has brilliant organised layout so you know where everything is as I hate endless rummaging!. Can add extra pouches too if needs be. as a woman it fits me perfectly. Think they are around £ 70 pounds new so pretty pricey but will last forever I reckon. Expodition do the falcon 2 which maybe worth checking out too, its slightly bigger.

I've been looking in to daybags over the last couple of weeks, I'd narrowed it down to either the Munro or the SF Delta 25, the latter came in favourite as it had zip opening as opposed to a lid; and on a daybag , which I'm in and out of all the time, I'd prefer.

I popped into uncle Ray's and stumbled across the Rush 12..............OMBFJ, zip and pocket heaven. Got it yesterday, love it

It also scores highly with me due to the fact it has no waist belt, which is a pet hate of mine on an everyday bag.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Ditto re waist belt its a complete waist of timefor daypack sizes and if the pack is like the rush 12 it sits perfectly on the back. Glad theres another pockets zips fan here!

I second the thing for the shoulder bag. I actually carry two. One with all the gizmos in it, and one for water and brew.

The main bag I got off ebay. And has served me well for one season without complaint. It's in most of my vids, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVnrPBdRMI

But it will be too small if bad weather hits. So depending on where I go I may compliment it with a normal backpack. But this is what I bring for 99% of my trips.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I use the two side pouches of a 100ltr bergen, and a yoke, two birds-one stone...cheers Ian..
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

For day to day wanders I find the Finnish respirator bag near perfect. I think it was a fiver from Ebay, though you can get them all over.

The only modification I've made is to add a clip buckle to close the lid. When the kids were still in nappies the amount of stuff made the lid bulge and overwhelm the snap poppers, but that's more my fault for over-filling the bag than a design fault.

Al
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com