Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a walking stick

Making a walking stick

My wife has asked me to make her a walking stick. I have no idea except i know i need a piece of straight Hazel. I have been reading info on the net but the basic's like when to cut your hazel ( winter i would assume), do you need to treat it before you start? how to finish it off. That sort of thing. Any info would be greatful.
    Regards
    Ian

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Most sticks are cut around November, but you should still be o.k. now, you need to let the wood season for at least 6mnths indoors somewhere warm and dry- longer is preferable, I like to sand the outer bark off mine before giving it a good oiling with linseed oil. Fit a brass Ferule on the bottom to protect it. (Proper stick makers will tell you to season the wood for a year or two - I've even read 7 for some types of wood).

If you need to straighten it a little, wait till it has seasoned then heat the bend point over a fire and bend it into position.

If you want to adorne it with a fancy handle then, you will need to get hold of some threaded bar and drill both handle and stick, then screw and glue together - sand the joint for a perfect fit. There are loads of horn and carved handles available on the net just google Walking stick materials.

I personally don't like adding handles and would rather get hold of a nice piece of hazel with a Y in it to make a thumb stick or a good stick coming off of a fairly stout branch at 90 degrees so that I can carve a shape into that.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

it may not be the correct way of doing it but i put mine on top of a radiator turning it a little everyday to try and stop it drying out too quickly on one side and bending.....i also find the heat helps when it comes to straightening the stick

many thanks for your advice. I will give it a go
    Regards
    Ian

I'm looking to make a stick myself but didn't know you had to cut the wood in November so I'll try and get out this weekend and see what I can find.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Why November by the way? Something to do with the sap? What's the difference then between November and February for example?

I cut myself a walking stick a couple of weeks ago. It's not a habit of mine to chop living trees, but hazel is a vigourous little tree. It gave me a hard time cutting it...

I wanted a very specific piece of wood. It's long enough for me of course, really straight (however I had to straighten it and it was no fun) and the particular thing is it has a fork on the top, so that I can put my thumb in.

I use it as a tarp pole, walking stick, use it to balance my weight on the ground when looking for wildlife and walking silently, clear my way in the woods when not on footpaths etc.

Here's how I proceeded to straighten it. That's no conventional method and may not be working for every stick, depending on the thickness for example : my stick was quite thick when I chopped it and my aim was to get it much thinner. I processed it with my knife and removed much wood shavings. When I reached the desired thickness, I checked for its curves and noticed it was quite curved in the middle, forming like a slightly curved bow (really slightly).

My first intention was to build a sort of steam oven (I don't know if it makes sense in english : that's basically a box in which you drive hot steam). But I needed tools and stuff I didn't have at home so I changed my mind.

I used a big long dish instead. I cook entire fish in it usually. Filled it half with water and made it boil. Once a good steam was being produced, I lay my stick over the dish and let the steam moist and heat it. I was quite successful at the beginning, as the stick became much softer and easier to bend. But something must have failed because after a night during which I had kept it in the right position, it had come back to its former shape.

Eventually, as the wood was not dry yet, I decided to force it straight. I put it in a position that was well far beyond the desired shape and let it overnight. The next morning, it was quite a surprise (a good surprise ) to see the stick was almost like I intended it to be.

I decided to keep it like that, and not process it any further, because after all, it reminds me of the will of the wood. Nature has laid things this way. I was able to adjust them a little to meet my needs, but there once was life in this stick and this curve is what remains of it.

I'll post a pic as soon as I learn how to

Hope this helps. If not it's still good to share

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    The november advice comes from various articles I've read, and with Hazel in the UK the wood has its lowest moisture content around then. Low level of sap tied with moderately dry but cold weather resulting in a more resiliant wood. In feb, the sap would be rising in most hazels and we tend to get the worst of our wet weather then. I don't know how true any of that is, but with the three or four sticks I've done, the ones I've collected in Nov have dried out quicker, have been lighter yet tougher than that I collected earlier in the year.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

i allways collect mine in feb,unless its a bit special then i cut when i see it as itll be got by some other chap!

by the way folks if anyone comes across a decent symetrical fork suitable for catapult cut it long (to allow for spliting whilst drying) give us a shout,cash waiting.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    It doesn't matter when you cut them really, it's just that they take longer to season and you have the chnace of a split if there is too much sap in them, the old saying is " When you see it, cut it"..also keep them dry and cool, don't try and dry them out too fast, normally a year for every inch of thickness..

I cut some hazel sticks last weeked and I'll keep them in the shed for a few months until the summer and then try working with them. Never make a stick before so cut half a dozen in case I muck a couple up...!
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!