Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cb radio's

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I had a Cobra 148 GTLDX 11 metre pirate naughty. I stick to VHF Hi Band now on the UKSAR/Marine net..legally
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    [

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Yes please
    C.B Ham Radio I still potter about with these in my 'radio shack'
    Regards (73's)
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    i wrote an article about the good old cb radio days a while back if intrested.

CBs are still strong in the US, though they are mainly used by truck drivers and sometimes the police force.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    hello,
    Pending atmospherics 'skip' I can pick up USofA Lower bands C.B & the
    29 - 40 MHz AM/NFM no problem.
    A few years ago there was an article published on such as here in the U.K there were
    at least 3 of us received a QSL Card & offer of goodies from a County Sheriff's Dept
    the Officer (name witheld) passed a message which to guage how far their broadcasts
    were received. If I recall it was TX (transmit) 34x***MHz NFM *(x denotes decimal point)
    the Sheriffs Patrol vehicles allocated frequency, RX QTH (received home base) 30+ SINPO 44344
    rough guess? Details were logged. Myself a mate in the West of Scotland & another Ham Radio up in
    Hebrides (I think?) were the 3.
    The HF Ham Radio I've been very lucky to pick up the Australian Defence Forces
    radio checks & these guy's who drive through the outback long haul truckers 'Road Trains'
    Australia again pending on the Atmospherics 'Skip'.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    CBs are still strong in the US, though they are mainly used by truck drivers and
    sometimes the police force.

Dang! Didn't know that was possible.
    Cool .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

One with Nature
    hello,
    Ain't it just
    Regards
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Dang! Didn't know that was possible.
    Cool .

Ahh... What ever happened to the 80's...

I had a couple of AM sets back in the day when they (American imports) were sold 'under the counter' so to speak. Had a fire-stick rod and also a telescopic Ariel that looked like an ordinary car radio Ariel as 'disguise', it was all very clandestine at the beginning...! - how cool we all thought we were.

I even had a 3ft sq. piece of steel sheet that I clamped the fire-stick to in the house to act as a ground.

As I recall, it all went south when a lot of young stupid users got into it who thought it was funny to swear their way through all of the comms and then when it went legal on FM I gave it all up.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    Ahh... What ever happened to the 80's...

The eighties were a great decade for those that can remember. I was a teenager 'up north' in the mid eighties and I think I went through every part of it. The music, the fashions, the first time that I had really listened to groups like Pink Floyd through to the Boomtown Rats. It was a great decade where there wasn't really any publiced violence apart from the usual that went on in Northeren Island. 'Maggy Thatcher Milk Snatcher' is something I remember to this day along with the coal strikes where there were more coppers on horseback attending a local football match against a team from South Yorkshire than they were actual people attending the match.

I wouldn't mind getting back into the CB world, I really used to enjoy it and I met some good friends. I read Fish's post the other night and it really brought back some wonderful memories, including the posts after Fish's entry. Maybe in the new year I might get another setup together.

Cheers Neil

I still switch mine on occasionally, to make sure it still works but rarely hear anyone on there.

My wife and I met on CB radio back in '95

I still have my home ariel at my dads, 22' silver rod (if I remember the name right) might just have to get set again. is it still "licenced" now a days or was that abolished again?