Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are hedgehogs edible?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Me and the wife enjoyed watching two Hedgehogs in our Garden and vegie plots last night, they were like machines eating slugs, they're sooo noisy eating when you get to sit & watch them up close, I wouldn't want to eat the ones I saw last night seeing how many slugs they put down there throats! God knows what they taste like, lol.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    Eating mrs twiggywinkle is bad form given there's so many Peter rabbits about. In a survival situation go for it. But other than that, why do it?
    Im aiming to significantly reduce the rabbit population in my parts
    [

It has been stated already in this thread, but I "personally" wouldn't want to kill a hedgehog. They are on the decline in this country. I have a small family of them living near my forge, and they really keep the slugs and snails at bay in the garden. They do no harm to humans (although they may spread fleas among pets), and thousands are killed on the roads each week across the country.

I'm not having a jab at anyone and sure, if it was a life or death situation where you needed something to eat, then that's a little different, but I'd try and find something a little tastier first

All the best mate

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Tribal Elder
    could nt eat sonic by far a lovely and inquisitive creature great to watch and a joy for the kids to find!!! ( but in a survival case i'm with Adam lol)
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Trapper
    I have a lovely hedgehog run (if that's what you call it?) through my garden. They come in one side, have a good old mooch about, then continue out the opposite corner. Awesome!

The only minor problem is that my dog likes to bring them in the house from time to time. He doesn't kill them but somehow manages to get them in my living room totally unharmed. One morning I was up and drinking coffee half asleep (wearing only boxers) and almost sat on the biggest hedgehog I've ever seen that he had strategically left on my chair.

You ain't nothing but a Hedgehog
    forridging all the time
    You ain't nothing but a hedgehog
    forridging all the time
    You ain't pricked a predator
    You ain't no porcupine!

I ate it as a child whilst playing with Romany's, my memory of it was't a bad one. I will have to try it again soon, following fish's instructions. what a great detailed response fish...thanks

He's a joke from Chez foraging trip.....You can eat anything.....sometimes only once! (This was aimed at Mushrooms at the time)
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Peasant
    I'm pretty sure they're protected so it doesn't matter if they're edible or not.

It's bloody magpies we should be eating.anyone tried them? thousands of them round here,oh and ring necked paraquits (not sure I spelt that ok?). Paul