Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready?

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    Hasn't there already been a few dates predicting the end of the world come and go in the last few years.
    I'm sure I remember one date being from quite a name in history. Can't remember who though.

Exactly what my earlier point was, however there has been more then a few. There is a "prediction" for just about EVERY single date every single year from MANY different cultures. Its just that some are made more famous then others and its these ones that people like Fish tend to remember or "believe" for some odd reasons.

Banned
    Nostradarmus, Galileo, several Mayan/Aztec predictions. They are all hocus pocus nonsense.

Just like the Y2K Bug all those years ago. Ignore them all, they are nothing but ancient chain letters.

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyRider View Post
    Nostradarmus, Galileo, several Mayan/Aztec predictions. They are all hocus pocus nonsense.

Just like the Y2K Bug all those years ago. Ignore them all, they are nothing but ancient chain letters.

Indeed. Just like religion it was made up years ago by ignorant people to try and make sense of things they couldn't understand.

However the Y2K bug was a genuine concern and did actually affect some low level/older systems. It just wasn't as bad or exaggerated as all the stupid media made out in 1999.

In my own opinion, this whole "end of the world" thing is complete rubbish. Even when people first started saying that the Mayans predicted "the end of the world", I didn't believe one bit of it. Just because a Mayan calendar cycle ends on the equivalent to the 21st of December, that in NO WAY means that the world is coming to an end. The Mayans themselves believed that there is no such thing as an ending or a beginning - everything just IS...everything is constant (a bit like my own religious beliefs).
    Religions that like to point out "the end is near" are doing nothing other than controlling others through fear, just like the Jehova Witness folks who come knocking at your door, telling you that you must convert to their religion because you'll be "damned to the eternal fires of hell" otherwise. Absolute rubbish.
    I will laugh at all the fools when we all wake up on the 22nd of December - another normal day on our plane of existence. Of course, then the fools will try to say that they made a "miscalculation" in the date.
    I believe that much of the odd weather patterns and increased frequency of natural disasters are our own fault. The air is constantly being polluted, whole forests are cut down, our waterways are contaminated with harmful chemicals,...we take and take greedily - we think only of ourselves and no one else. We don't give back to the Earth: and so, the Earth is saying in Her own way that She has had enough.
    But that's just me.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

you have a point i think. i was trapped in that cult for 30 years,rule by fear and guilt.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    you have a point i think. i was trapped in that cult for 30 years,rule by fear and guilt.
    All religions are cults. The only difference is that some cults are larger and more organized.

i dont think that is true,and having experienced the difference between a cult and mainstream christian church i can speak with confidence on the matter.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

They both have silly beliefs, Only difference between a cult and a religion is size and recognition. A "cult" is defined as a religion once its legally recognized and over a particular size, Its as simple as that.

I was brought up a Christian.
    I went to RC primary and RC secondary schools. I went to church every Sunday, I went to a Catholic youth club. I was an alter boy. ...you get my drift. I'm not speaking as a man with no experience. I could, and still can recite the bible.

But when you take a step back from it, look at *cold hard facts* timelines, the existance of so many other religions all stating there's is the only one too. The contradictions, evolution, fossils, the authors, the stories. Then consider, talking snakes, talking burning bushes, the Earth is only 6000 years old.

Please... I spent years following this nonsense.
    The *ONLY* reason I embraced Christianity was geographic circumstance and the fact that I was taught to!
    If I was born a son of Mr Nabeeh Al-Ibrahim from Saudi Arabia, I'd be telling a different story; so who would have been right in that circumstance? I'll tell you, neither of us. We're both as naive as the other.

I could rant for hours on this, so I'll shut up!

I beg you! Watch Religulous.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Cheers
    AL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AL...; 16-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR