Thread: ally pot fix - soldering advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ally pot fix - soldering advice

I hope I'm posting in the right place for this ...

It's time for me to replace the handles on my used and abused ally billy cans. I've seen a few people with brake cable looking handles and that's what I fancy. I found an excellent guide one this site:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/ki...ake-cable.html

I have a query about the optional soldering. I kinda figure that the best plan is to ...

1) tip the end of the cable
    2) flux the inside of the terminal
    3) insert the tip
    4) crimp
    5) heat the whole area with the soldering iron

Any thoughts on that?

I must admit, anything other than electrical soldering is not really my forte.

EDIT: I trust this is all worth it and the solder doesn't melt near the fire
    Last edited by Marvell; 18-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Regular solder as used on plumbing fittings etc will melt,you really need to get it silver soldered or brazed Marvel. Personally I would just crimp them,go to a tackle shop and get some pike trace crimps,there the thing to use,while your there you could treat yourself to some titanium wire as well. Paul

Thanks for your advice Paul. I've got some bike brake cable kicking about and some electrical bits and bobs, but if that all fails, I'll go fishing
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Samuel Hearne
    I have used fishing trace wire (conger) with crimps that i got from my local tackle shop the trace wire does have a bs of 70kg but when i got it i had more than enough to make 10 conger traces with the crimps that came with the wire so made 9 traces and then made a wire handle for a billy can that a friend had, the only problem was the wire trace has a plastic coating which can be burnt off but it works and the billy can is still being used.