Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meths stoves........

Meths stoves........

Howdy all,

Before I start, let me explain that this is NOT a whinge or gripe..... More of an observation.

I have made many meths/alcohol stoves of late, mainly through designs I have seen on youtube, from simple popcan stoves, to whitebox type.

Many of the "Tests" I have seen of these, apart from the one done by Ash, and only a handfull more, have been indoors...

Hence, perfect conditions, and quite impressive results.

Now, I used a popcan stove earlier in the year, and it used up quite a bit more fuel than it did on the indoor tests an what youtube videos suggested.

On a recent night out with a few likeminded bushy peeps, I took my WB type stove to use as my primary means of heating water/food, besides the campfire, and found the small diameter unstable, with a few topples... But, it worked a treat. Unlike the popcan stove which guzled fuel... Yet one of my fellow campers used a popcan stove, and it was brilliant.

I have since made a second WBS type, with a wider diameter, and already noticed a difference in stability, and on indoor tests, uses less fuel, And will be testing it out in the open before commiting to an actual event use, which is soon coming.

I don't care on how fast a stove can boil x ammount of water, I am only wanting for it to do the job asked, with minimal problems.

I wonder if the stove makers on youtube did fieldtests, their "fast" results would be different?.. More than likely I am guessing.
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Yet one of my fellow campers used a popcan stove, and it was brilliant.
    You sure ? If you're on about mine it only started to work effectively if I pre heated it and I think i just dropped lucky, playing with that design, and puting it in that stove base I have. Other stoves of a similar ilk I have made havent worked particularly well.

I did think the one I was using was very meths hungry too although I suppose making bacon and tomatoes and a full kettle of water on one 75 ml (ish) fill isnt bad
    [

Strange one this,my home made meths stove works a treat,fast,good on fuel etc. made mine out of a ally water bottle,maybe the slightly thicker gauge of metal compered to a pop can helped (heat retention etc). Theres probably some deep and difficult science involved in why seemingly identical stoves work totaly differently? Paul

I wonder if the stove makers on youtube did fieldtests, their "fast" results would be different?.. More than likely I am guessing.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find this is why they supply or advocate the use of some type of wind shield, they will never know if you intend to use it up a mountain, by the sea or come to that in the middle of the Sahara desert, Bill of Whitebox stove fame is a long time established hiker, so I think you can take field testing as a given!

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Strange one this,my home made meths stove works a treat,fast,good on fuel etc. made mine out of a ally water bottle,maybe the slightly thicker gauge of metal compered to a pop can helped (heat retention etc). Theres probably some deep and difficult science involved in why seemingly identical stoves work totaly differently? Paul

This is what I have made my new stove from.. I used a de-odourant can for the first one, which was nice and light, worked well, and was efficient... Just a bit unstable, which Sapper will confirm.

The alloy water bottle I used for carrying my meths, is now my new stove, and the larger diameter has made it a lot more stable.. And yes, the thicker gauge material has also made a difference.
    Utringue Paratus

Your earlier stove was indeed unstable but Joe solved that by putting it inside the outer of his woodgas stove as a windshield and it worked a treat. Maybe its the use of something to lift the pot and the height that allows it to work that bit better, also there's no heat lost sideways
    [

Could be.... Tried one on a hexi stove this morning, used a small lump of hexiblock to prime it, and it went like a good 'un.... made some charcloth with it as the test... Flying colours...
    Utringue Paratus

Just back from poundland
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Just back from poundland
    Is this what you are making?..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2323.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	5572Click image for larger version.