Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pine Resin - Clever stuff, another first for me...!

Pine Resin - Clever stuff, another first for me...!

When I was out at the weekend I noticed hardened resin on some pines so collected some which was a first for me, a great natural resource... very impressed...!

Paul.

Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Brilliant stuff Paul, thanks for sharing.

It gives off black smoke just like when you burn fat-pine or maya-stick, same resinous sap I love maya-sticks, think I might start using them more.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I've collected and used resin before, but would love some more info on 'fatwood' and how to find/gather it. I have a rough idea but..................
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBeaner View Post
    I've collected and used resin before, but would love some more info on 'fatwood' and how to find/gather it. I have a rough idea but..................
    Well as it happens....I think I found a site of fatwood stumps last weekend when I was out testing my stove near where I found the resin so I'd also be interested in how to go about it. I've watched a couple of You-tube vids on it and I'm going out next weekend to do a rumage and see what I can find but if any forum members have gathered fatwood themselves then maybe you could share the knowledge...

Paul.

so whats the diffrence as fat-sticks and maya-stick seem same thing just diffrent name's?

hi mate great stuff! how well does it catch a spark?
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Haven't tried a spark but guessing that it wouldn't work directly onto lumps of hard resin, however if it was crushed/shaved it might. I'll have to try it tomorrow...

Pine Resin is different to fatwood/Maya sticks... The resin is just resin, a waxy sticky sap that crystallizes as it dries and applying gentle heat to resin will melt it into a liquid and part of the component of the liquid is natural turpentine.

Fatwood is pine wood, often harvested from old tree stumps that has a very high resin content. Maya sticks (I think) are basically fatwood cut into small sticks.

The Knots of dead pine trunks/branches also contain high resine content.
    Last edited by paul standley; 08-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.

I think fatwood comes from the knots in fallen pine trees, all full of resin. I found out this afternoon Maya sticks originate in Guatemala. The article also said that the tap root of a rotten pine tree is full of resin too. I suppose it's gonna be a case of trial and error.

Albert Einstein

I think your explanation makes a lot more sense than mine, and you were 5 minutes before me too!!

Albert Einstein

Fatwood/Maya sticks all the same.

Essentially what you are looking for is a spruce, fir or pine tree that has died. When the tree dies the sap pools in the bottom of the tree soaking into the wood in the base or roots.
    Generally these trees end up getting blown down which is when I go into the bush and look for the fat (sap) soaked shards of wood prootruding from the base of the tree.

The Sap of course not only makes a good glue or fire starter but also has quite a few medicinal applications.