Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather stamp maker

Leather stamp maker

Evening all.

Does anyone if this parish make leather stamps to order? Got a couple I'd like to use to personalise my new home made kit.

Many thanks
    Winter is coming

depends what sort of thing you are looking for. I have recently started making pretty simple designs like thors hammers, hearts, stars, etc. Anything more complicated than I can do with a file (like my own makers marks) I have made by a stamp making company; Davidsons Marking Equipment. They don't have a website but their phone number is i the book (the online version of the yellow book), give them a call and they will sort out brands, stamps for metal or leather, rollers plates, all sorts!

These are the sorts of thing I do. Davidsons will do pretty much anything you can conceive, including tiny lettering. I know somebody on BCUK did a group buy on some leather working stamps made from a soft metal a while back. I think they found a company who produces the stamps as a sheet (like a sheet of card) and folk on the forum paid for an inch of the total plate until there were enough to make it viable. I didn't look into it far because it was ONLY good for leather, whereas the steel stamps I use can be struck into metal too

Last edited by dave budd; 17-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    depends what sort of thing you are looking for. I have recently started making pretty simple designs like thors hammers, hearts, stars, etc. Anything more complicated than I can do with a file (like my own makers marks) I have made by a stamp making company; Davidsons Marking Equipment. They don't have a website but their phone number is i the book (the online version of the yellow book), give them a call and they will sort out brands, stamps for metal or leather, rollers plates, all sorts!
    ...but I'm getting a blank page on your site Dave
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Very nice Dave! I like some of those. Hmmmm new idea forming and the cogs are turning....
    Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    ...but I'm getting a blank page on your site Dave

really where? its coming up ok for me
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    really where? its coming up ok for me
    Yeah same for me now Dave, must have been my end mate.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Here what I'm after, or something very close to it :-)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  19.2 KB

how big?

I guess somewhere between 15 to 20 mm. How does it work Dave, the larger it is the easier to do?

yeah. the larger the stamp the easier it is to do the design. The trouble then is that the more detailed the image, the more easily any mistakes show up!

I might have a go at something like that, just as a technical exercise since it would involve me learning a new technique But I suspect it will work out not much cheaper than getting Davidsons to do it from an image that they scan into a computer (my dog cost about £60 i think). I'll have a play later in the week and see how I get on with something similar and simpler