Thread: hi, quick question.

hi, quick question.

hi all,
    just got another quick query. a while ago there was a thread about covering your blade in a thin layer of rust or something to protect, i think it was vinegar that was used?
    well, i just wanted to know wehre is it?
    thanks,
    Aaron.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Hi Aaron!

I believe you're referring to Ashley's thread about patina. It's not really about protecting the blade, but here's the thread:

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bu...ft-knives.html

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

thanks steve!
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

best way to protect a blade is clean it and wipe over with a near dry oily rag before putting away.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks for pointing him in the right direction Steve!

some people do actually use patina to create somewhat of a barrier, as I said in my article: "A good patina on a blade can actually form a protective barrier on metal, stopping further oxidation & corrosive rust from setting in, this can be a plus side to having a patina your blade."

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    best way to protect a blade is clean it and wipe over with a near dry oily rag before putting away.
    Yes, fish is right; if protection is what your looking for you can't beat that ^^^
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Alternatively, use it regularly and clean it after you've used it. I've never got rust on my knife if I've used it often enough.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.