Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental DIY Hobo caldera cone trail stove

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    if it ever gets to that stage it might make a nice article on the website if you would like that?

Certainly looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Cheers Ashley - let's see how it pans out over the next 2/3 weeks, if I think it ends up as a viable bit of kit then we'll collaborate on an article.

Regards, Paul.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Paul,
    http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/c...1_1500012.html
    when in the workshop today ( I work for a skip hire company so they repair the lorries in there) I came across an air filter that i think could be adapted have a look at the link and let me know if you think it will work once gitted of the filter material.

Quote Originally Posted by Comptona View Post
    Paul,
    http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/c...1_1500012.html
    when in the workshop today ( I work for a skip hire company so they repair the lorries in there) I came across an air filter that i think could be adapted have a look at the link and let me know if you think it will work once gitted of the filter material.
    Hi, I looked at the link but it took me to a page full of various filters and I couldn't identify any particular one but in general, old lorry filter cases are often manufactured out of perforated stainless steel and if they were large enough to roll around into a cone, would probably make great stove carcases of the type i've been playing around with.

I'm not sure yet if my 'perforated' design is of any overal benefit or not compared to thin solid sheet , I need to do more wood burn tests but from what i've seen so far, it doesn't hinder the stove and it does keep the weight down and it does allow the use of pins for pot supports at any height so if you can recover an oil filter case then go for it and let us know how it works out.

Paul.

looks good m8

great video, given me plenty of ideas to work with now, not to mention hunting far and wide for cheap (free) perforated steel.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I haven't forgotten version 4, just been mad busy lately. SWMBO keeps insisting on having the house finished...!

Have done some more work on it, at version 4.5 now and v4.5 is the "can also be used upside down as camp fire & grill" mod...! but need to get out and do some field test burns now in the different configurations. I'll keep up the post, it'll get finished soon I hope.

Paul.

Oh you've started something now....the housewives favourite(not) i'm going into the kitchen now to eye up our tea and coffee containers...i have an urge to try a home made jobby myself after watching your vid.
    Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic Mr. S.! That seems to tick all the required boxes: light,compact,versatile,all your own design. I love the perforated material/thin pin brainwave, which gives complete pot height adjustment. If that top "fastener" could lock onto different pegs on the other side would that give full pot width versatility? (is it do-able?). Is that the famous "skintcrafter billy" you're using (available in all good creative imaginations). You're definitely onto summat there, full marks, plus 10 house points, and pick any prize from the top table!!!
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    If that top "fastener" could lock onto different pegs on the other side would that give full pot width versatility? (is it do-able?). Is that the famous "skintcrafter billy" you're using (available in all good creative imaginations). You're definitely onto summat there, full marks, plus 10 house points, and pick any prize from the top table!!!
    Bigzee - for meths burners and ezbits etc the thin pins can be placed high inside and the burners put on them so that wide pans can sit on the top using the cross-support strips.

The skintcrafter Billy is indeed a premier bushcrafter line in Pounstretcher & Wilko...!