Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack pyke countryman boot

Well got to admit I have a pair of these boots and i have not had any problems with them as of today. Maybe in the future but what does not wear out?
    And as with everything sometimes you get lucky sometimes not so with any equipment.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. For years I have been putting dubbin on my boots but with these it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

After I posted my question I did some more research - the conclusion is:

The nubuck leather these they are made of is factory treated with a waterproofing layer. Beneath the leather is the waterproof and breathable Breatha-tex layer, similar to Goretex.

When I first got the boots water ran off, quite literally like off a ducks back. This was the proofing on the outside of the leather working. After I while I noticed that the leather was getting wet - but my feet weren't, this was the Breatha-tex working.

So it now seems the Breatha-tex has failed. Nothing much I can do about that but I can reproof the outside. Various searches on the web revealed that dubbin is not the right thing to use. For nubuck leather there are special preparations that should be used. Most famous of these is Nikwax's Nubuck and suede proofing, though there are others.

Now all I've got to do is get my hands on some. When I do I'll keep you posted on the result.

Thanks again.

The water used to run off my pair when new. After a while the top of the boot above the toe cap would "wet out" showing that the outer coating had worn off. I sprayed them with a silicone based product but they would still "wet out" after a short time when walking through wet grass.
    I'm not sure about those spray on products, more like a water repellent than a waterproofer.
    Using nickwax or Dubbin on your boots will change the outer nubuck/suede to a more shiny appearence. It would also cut down there breathability. I would have thought it will make them more waterproof as you are covering them in a grease-fat-oil mixture.
    Try a spray on-proofer first, if you're still getting wet feet, then as a last resort I would try Nickwax or something similar. Good luck

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. For years I have been putting dubbin on my boots but with these it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

After I posted my question I did some more research - the conclusion is:

The nubuck leather these they are made of is factory treated with a waterproofing layer. Beneath the leather is the waterproof and breathable Breatha-tex layer, similar to Goretex.

When I first got the boots water ran off, quite literally like off a ducks back. This was the proofing on the outside of the leather working. After I while I noticed that the leather was getting wet - but my feet weren't, this was the Breatha-tex working.

So it now seems the Breatha-tex has failed. Nothing much I can do about that but I can reproof the outside. Various searches on the web revealed that dubbin is not the right thing to use. For nubuck leather there are special preparations that should be used. Most famous of these is Nikwax's Nubuck and suede proofing, though there are others.

Now all I've got to do is get my hands on some. When I do I'll keep you posted on the result.

Thanks again.
    Dubbin is not the stuff to put on goretex etc boots when they are working right. Only if the lining fails.. Make sure you are not just getting condensation inside, because as Woodwose mentions, if the outside of your boots *wetout* (become sodden) then they will not breathe, and you are liable to get condensation, just because the outer skin has water logged, and not the lining failing.. Dubbin could waterproof your boots, but it will never stop condensation.. That comes down to what you use your boots for, and how sweaty your feet are etc.. Maybe try some goretex designed waterproofing first, like grangers or nicwax products..

oh well try again