Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack pyke countryman boot

Jack pyke countryman boot

I have a pair of Jack Pyke Countryman Boot, and they are brilliant... The insoles are a bit rubbish as they tend to move, so replacing them is a must...

My question to readers is??????

I have read and heard that people have made boots waterproof, by using vegetable oil. They coat the boot, let the boot soak the material, then give the boot another coat... they do this until the boot can't soak anymore oil....

I was wondering if anyone has tried this on a boot like mine, And what was the effect?

Would it be worth trying or should I use a Shop sold waterproof agent...

Regards,

Karl.

Are they not Goretex lined? If so this would serve no purpose as they should already be waterproof.
    cheers
    Gareth

i would be worried about the pil fousting,just use dubbin and apply with a finger.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Thanks fish. just wasnt sure...

Not sure on the gortex bit Gareth, they state that they are waterproof, but just wondered if its worth putting extra cover on.

I checked their site and its a material similar to Goretex called Breathex.... I have one of their jacket that's made from the same stuff.
    Its supposed to be breathable so adding any grease to the boots will certainly ruin the breathability. This will no doubt result in sweaty feet. I've got a pair of Le Chameau Gortex lined boots and they are perfectly waterproof and my feet don't sweat much in them, so I guess they are breathable too.
    Personally I'd avoid any grease and use a proper recommended proofer in the unlikely event they should start to leak..
    cheers
    Gareth

I've had a pair of these boots for a few years now and I have no hestation in saying they are the best, most practical and comfortable boot I have ever owned.

But this weekend after stepping into a couple of inches of water, something they normally shrug off, I found they were letting in a bit of water. I don't think there are any holes or leaks so I have to assume that the waterproofing has finally given up.

Any bright ideas for restoring it?

Thanks in antics!

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I've had a pair of these boots for a few years now and I have no hestation in saying they are the best, most practical and comfortable boot I have ever owned.

But this weekend after stepping into a couple of inches of water, something they normally shrug off, I found they were letting in a bit of water. I don't think there are any holes or leaks so I have to assume that the waterproofing has finally given up.

Any bright ideas for restoring it?

Thanks in antics!
    The breathable/waterproof membrane in boots only usually lasts a couple of years or so.
    I use boot dubbin on my old worn out goretex lined boots. If you warm it first in some hot water, it will soak in better.

I would be concerned with the veg. oil turning rancid and actually begin to rot. I know the "preserve" mink oil and the like, step carefully.
    mind over matter...if you don't mind...it doesn't matter

I'm glad you're happy with your Jack Pyke boots mine where rubbish.
    If it's any concellation my Jack Pyke hunter boots also leak. After wearing them for a short time both the inner footsoles developed creases and had to be replaced. The ankle support was poor and when walking downhill my feet would slide in the boots just enough to cause discomfort on the toes
    I also had a pair of Red Setter hunting boots which where excellent at first but devolped a leak on the right boot then the sole came away.
    And finally the pair of TF Gear extreme boots I bought from Go Outdoors leaked after 3 months use. They where replaced under guarantee but this new pair also leak. On the plus side they are really light have excellent ankle support, good grip and are nice and warm, pity they leak and are to warm to wear in summer.
    I'd go down the Dubbin or wax route on your boots too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwose View Post
    I'm glad you're happy with your Jack Pyke boots mine where rubbish.
    Despite reviews to the contrary I think all Jack Pike stuf is rubbish... They give all the blurb about English quality....I've got one of their hunter jackets that is not especially well priced... not expensive, but I'd have expected a bit more.
    Within days the pockets had holes in and the lining was fraying at the bottom hem. I was able to sew these up... But since the stitching had come undone at the hand pockets..
    I wish now I'd spent a little more or found a military spec coat...

cheers
    Gareth