Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Campfire Tripod - Help

This is a pre Hammerite touchup!

I've left one hook on the pole in the 5 o'clock position and cut the other two off. All the poles were forced onto the ring and then hammered. They are a little stiff to bend out but that's perhaps no bad thing.

I've had a full 4 litre Dutch oven on it but I don't have a bigger one so can't help on that score. Suffice to say, there's no sign of the legs bowing, even though they are long...they also have good spikes on the end to push into the ground too.

I built a tripod a few months ago, completely spontaneously and out of junk I already had. I was clearing out the garage and uncovered my old arc welder that hasn't been used in a good 15 years. I thought I'd have a play with that and ended up welding three exhaust u-bolts onto three lengths of square bar with all the u-bolts interlinked so they would form a folding tripod. I then welded on a small bent bolt to form a hook to hang the chain from and made a heavy wire pot hook (S-hook) out of a broken bucket handle.

It's not very pretty but it'll probably work just fine,,,,,,. I say probably cos I haven't used it yet.

I then went on to make a kind of heavy duty grill "thing" out of horsesoes, with folding angle iron legs that you can stand in a fire and put your pots/skillets etc on. Guess what, I haven't used that yet either! And I wouldn't want to carry it very far! But I did enjoy making it.

Some excellent ideas here. Im going to have a go myself. Cheers
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 005.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	550
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 004.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	552

a rough fire tripod made from road pins
    Last edited by mark; 28-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.

If you have the road pins with the hook on the end why dont you just hammer it into the ground at an angle over your fire and have a chain coming off the hook and hang your kettle off that?

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    If you have the road pins with the hook on the end why dont you just hammer it into the ground at an angle over your fire and have a chain coming off the hook and hang your kettle off that?
    Just one would probably support a small kettle but what happens if you've got a heavy meal on the go and the weight slowly pulls it forward and into your lap? Wasted dinner and *ahem* two veg

I have used the tripod form that Mark has put on here and the other way I have to be honest I prefer the way Mark does it But if I was going to have a permenant sort of site I would try and make a fire spit sort of form you can get more on and move it around the flames for differing heats.

I have a couple of road pins I use for the first idea and iff anyone else is out with me and has them then it can be upgraded to the fire spit idea.
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Fair point, it all depends on how much weight you want to put on it and how much weight you wanna lug around with you!

Check out silverfox bushcraft on youtube. He uses an S hook to hold the pins together, but you can use keyrings and carabiners too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZiooZ0Fysk
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel