Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Campfire Tripod - Help

Comptona. Road pins, do you mean the things that hold the orange or red plastic fence up. if they are thats wot i use,i just put three together rap a lenthe of chane round the top and let it hang to butchers hooks. one on the bottom then backup the chane then another at the bottom of that to hang your pot on.The lenth of chane gos down up with hook at the bottom

those are the kiddies. So it holds well without any sort of welding etc? How do you find transporting them?

Compona. You can get the chain out of B&Q what I do is rap the chain round the top then round just below the bits that stick out at the top then over 1OR2 of them and let the chain hang down. For transporting I put them together rap the chain round thr spikes then rap some gaffer tap round top, middale and bottom cuvering the spikes...............Bobs your mate.. dune....Happey new year and all the best..................TONY.

seems that these diy stores need a better investigation appears that they are unaware of the treasures they hold..thx for the advice Tony will have a go. Back at work tomorrow so might have to fill my car with bits and bobs.

Try checking out this http://handmadematt.blogspot.com/sea...door%20Cooking for how to use your road pins, the simple ways are usually the best, btw a set of three pins can also be set up 'spit' style.

regards-Steve

that has just made my weekend a whole lot easier thanks Scorpian

I've seen something similar to the 'gypsy cooker' arrangement used years ago in South Africa in the army to hang 'potjie pots' from (cast iron dutch oven types pots). brilliant idea and can be stowed (sticking out) in a pack. Personally, I still prefer the old green boughs and withies approach, but if you're doing this often with scouts, 'gypsies' might be the way to go.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

A tripod is simple to make.
    Go to B&Q and get 3 mild steel rods.
    Clamp each one in a vice and drill a hole in the end of each rod.
    Get a wire coat hanger and cut about 8" off it.
    Thread it through the holes in the rods and then bend it until it forms a circle.
    Twist the ends of the coat hanger together with pliers.
    http://www.bushcraftni.com
    http://bushcraftni.blogspot.com
    Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association

I made this tripod with three temporary fence posts from Jewsons (in the garden section for holding up that orange plastic net fencing) )I slipped them onto a metal ring I ponced off a broken webbing strap from a delivery lorry, cut two of the three hooked bits off, and closed them up round the ring by using a gas BBQ as a sort of forge…

I’ve got a 4 litre Dutch oven hanging here

It works!

Finally got my pins from work yesterday, the others were a twisted metal and were quite heavy. I like the idea of the webbing hooks would like to see a close up of how you use them. One of our fitters is knocking me up a ring and chain attachement that also binds the poles for travelling, I will see how that works and if it does i will post it on here. Thaks for the pics Mang it helps to see it in use. Having used it how heavey a pot would you risk on it?