Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Campfire Tripod - Help

Campfire Tripod - Help

I want to make a pot hanger and have seen a metal tripod on various web sites that retails around the £90 mark. I have access to an abundance of road pins that I am sure can be adapted but I am not the most adept handy man. Any body made one?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Never made one, it really can't be that difficult and if you were to take your road pins along to a blacksmith he'd be sure to make it work for you. However, don't forget that they will weigh a ton!! Well, in fact as much as three road pins and that's a lot to carry on top of all your other kit. In my experience, we rarely get to camp as close to the car as we'd like to so bear in mind the weight of them before you spend time and money.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Cheers Martin, I have considered the weight but I was going tonuse it mainly on scout Camps. We like to keep water on the boil and if we keep it on the fire direct it gets knocked over by the scouts who suddenly realise its hot and puts the fire out..lol.

My missus made a lovely tripod with the aid of Tristan Kessl at the last RV http://www.footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/index.html
    The cost including the help and materials came to £15. It has an adjustable length of chain and a nice hook on the end. Perfect.
    He's there this year too.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comptona View Post
    Cheers Martin, I have considered the weight but I was going tonuse it mainly on scout Camps. We like to keep water on the boil and if we keep it on the fire direct it gets knocked over by the scouts who suddenly realise its hot and puts the fire out..lol.
    Would be perfect for that. Try out the local blacksmith then, he's sure to be able to help. It's pretty horsey up your way I guess so shouldn't be hard to find.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Was just chatting to my neighbour whos a real handy man, he hasnt worked for years just fixes things for people and makes a living that way, he said it would be easy and he will teach me to weld at the same time, great result thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Would be perfect for that. Try out the local blacksmith then, he's sure to be able to help. It's pretty horsey up your way I guess so shouldn't be hard to find.

Martin
    Very horsey, never short of a bit of meat for the camp fire!!!!!

Wanderer
    What about something like the gypsy cooker shown on this site, it wouldn't weigh as much.
    http://www.a-finlay-primitive-crafts...sy_cooker.html

Quote Originally Posted by Darktide View Post
    What about something like the gypsy cooker shown on this site, it wouldn't weigh as much.
    http://www.a-finlay-primitive-crafts...sy_cooker.html
    That pot hanger looks good! I would love to see a close up of how it stays together, unless of course you know allready.

Wanderer
    Looks like the weight of the rod, and then the pot you hang from it keeps it together.