Thread: Best way to clean a Berghaus Rucksack?

Question Best way to clean a Berghaus Rucksack?

I have just bought a used Berghaus Voyager 60 plus rucksack and it could do with a clean. Does anybody know the best way to wash it? It has a back frame (FGA 2) so not sure if I could just put it straight in washer on low/no spin or if I would need to wash it by hand?

Thanks in advance.

Hobo
    done mine in a washing machine used nikwax techwash and reproofer came out really clean and fairly waterproof

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornelondon View Post
    done mine in a washing machine used nikwax techwash and reproofer came out really clean and fairly waterproof
    Agreed if it'll fit! I have an old Vango 60+10 which I cannot remove the frame out of so it simply won't get anywhere near fitting in a washing machine. To clean that I used some car upholstery cleaner - The sort you spray on car seats and work in with a brush. I gave it a good squirt all over and inside too, brushed it in and gave another squirt then left it for 12 hours before rinsing it clean with the shower. I was amazed at how much muck came out of it. After drying and spraying with a bit of nikwax it's come up good as new.

I've used both these methods for various rucksacks. Both work!

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I used to clean my Kit Berghaus Cyclops ROC & Webbing with Stergene or Soap Flakes. Made up a solution in a
    bucket of warm water out in the back yard with a scrubbing brush & elbow grease, followed once
    dry with a spray coating of Nikwax solution. Always used a waterproof liner/dry bag as you'll never get
    one 100% waterproof.
    The Ecover Brand http://www.ecovercareline.co.uk/ Non Bio Concentrated Liquid is great stuff for
    ingrained dirt webbing material goretex etc.. I've used this for a number of years does as it say's on the tin.
    Regards
    David

Alone in the Wilderness
    I have no doubt that all these advised ways are working, but why don't you get an advise from manufacturer? I think, guys there would know the best answer.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    Quote Originally Posted by stafass View Post
    I have no doubt that all these advised ways are working, but why don't you get an advise from manufacturer? I think, guys there would know the best answer.
    hello,
    I agree wouldn't do any harm.
    Well with a number of years in the UK Armed Forces looking after my kit it hasn't done it any harm
    these tips & tricks were passed down through guy's from long service through 'Pro's & Joes' alike.
    All these products suggested are fragrance free & non-bio, good for when your out & about without
    the soapy fragrance of fresh laundry or other to give you away..lol!
    Always used Nikwax products for waterproof finish.
    Regards
    David

Hobo
    Nikwax tech wash, a bath half full of warm water and a nail brush has always worked for me, whether it was my technical climbing bag or my Bergan. (yes, another ex squaddie!) Just remember to rinse well and dry slowly. (and wait till the wife is out for the day.) It may also help that I was Berghaus trained by Cotswolds, and they say the same thing. Hope this helps.