Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prep for 1st trip

Plus two for the pillow and plus one for the call of nature kit.

If these have already been mentioned and I missed them apologies:

A map & compass (Even if it isn't really needed, map reading could keep your lad entertained)
    Hand sanitizer (Unless you automatically eat with your less favoured hand)
    Wet wipes (Easy cleaning)
    Spare batteries (For anything you take that needs them)
    A small towel (As a rain soaked head, left damp can make even the most grizzled grown man sneezey)
    A safety whistles (to signal distress or if out of sight of each other, a much easier and more civilized way to communicate instead of shouting 'Where the F are you?")
    Your mobile with you I.C.E contact entered into it and either a spare charged battery or a solar/wind up charger (In case you need to call for help, signal willing)
    Camping dogtags on both your persons: you name, age, I.C.E. contact, a list of any medical conditions a first responder would need to be aware of, a list of any medication you take and a list of any medication you may be allergic to (this may seem a bit over the top, but it is one of those 'just in case' things if things do go a bit Pete Tong and if you have some cardboard knocking about, it only takes a couple of minutes to cut round a credit card and write one out)
    And finally, a sense of adventure

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your trip

Cheers,

Colin
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by NeedABrew View Post
    I think Sapper mentioned a bit of gaffa tape -
    Yup good stuff, myriad of uses from first aid to heath robinson repairs
    [

Trapper
    Woot, another mKettle user like me.

If its new to you, I recommend doing a few test boils at home so you get used to the amount of dry sticks you need, and to wash out any manufacturing chemicals from the inside, and to coat the inner chimney with a nice layer of soot/resin - I recently got a second mKettle, and my well used first one boils much 1 to 2 minutes quicker...

Remember, you can supplement the wood in the mKettle with an esbit block - i've found that quite useful for getting a fire started when all i have is damp wood, as it helps dry the sticks out to get a proper fire going.

If you get on with the mKettle, you can get a pot stand for it, though i've only had limited success with mine, it warms the pan up but doesn't cook the contents.

And if you go to theboilerwerks website, Devlin who made the original backcountry boiler that the mKettle is a ripoff of, does a 'firefelt' that you add 15 to 30ml of meths to. Devlin also does a pot stand that fits a bit snugger on the mKettle, and can be used in the fire bowl of the Mkettle to give a backup stove.

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by FatDad View Post
    The missus has just shown me the lads first attempts at carving - a tent peg and a 'fork'. Quite frankly, I'm amazed!!

Attachment 5215
    Oh wow! He's seven did you say?? I am genuinely unsure if I could match those first try.

Welcome to being a hobo - I became a tramp a few posts ago, strange but I have been called that by a few ladies in the past lol