Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prep for 1st trip

Hobo

Prep for 1st trip

Over on the introduce yourself forum I mentioned that my 7 year old Son and I are planning an overnighter on the 25th August. He's just recently been inspired by watching BG's antics, and the new BG/Gerber knife he got as a present. He was mesmerised by the fire steel and wants to try his hand at wild camping with his old man (yours truly).
    In a move of unprecedented generosity/stupidty/craftiness his mum, the Finance Director has permitted a reasonable spend on some kit to replace the rather tatty and extremely heavy gear from my youth.
    I thought it may be a good idea to share the kit list with you all and get some feedback (or howls of derisive laughter), so here goes:

3 x 3 tarp
    Hammock
    Honey Stove (which I believe can be used with my 25 year old Trangia burner)
    MKettle - A mate of mine has one of these, and it works superbly.
    Titanium pots and mug
    Ancient machete
    Firesteel and cotton wool tinder
    Compact first aid kit
    Old Mora knife (I found this in the bottom of my tool box - result!!)
    Folding Saw
    Head Torch
    Paracord

Obviously food and water, a pocket knife/tool thingy, some paracord will be thrown into the sack along with a sleeping bag for junior.

If there is anything I've missed out which I'll really need, or something that will make the trip more enjoyable, let me know.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Something to sit on will make the trip so much more enjoyable. The ground is fine for a while but you can't beat sitting back in a nice comfy chair in my opinion.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hobo
    Thanks for that Martin.
    Sam, my 7 yr old has reliably informed me that he knows how to make a stool from dead sticks and paracord.
    I can't bring myself to visibly doubt him on our first outing, so i'll let him have a go!!
    Hopefully he'll succeed, but if not there may be a log that can be pressed into action to support the parental arse!!

Trapper
    I like those little blow up travel pillows - you know the ones that sort of wrap round your neck a bit? I wriggle quite a lot when I'm sleeping and when in a hammock if I am using the usual rolled up items of clothing etc you can be sure that they end up half way down my back or directly above my head in a totally useless place.

Walking poles if you are going to be doing any sort of distance (Asda 7 quid a pair).

I think Sapper mentioned a bit of gaffa tape - something that I always take myself. I have a plastic trowel from Wilkinsons which I take (along with a toilet roll in a water tight bag) and I always wrap a few meters of tape round the handle. Amazing the uses you can get out of it.

Plastic bag for rubbish.

Have fun!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Plus one for the pillow. I use an Exped Inflatable Pillow which I love.

Sticks and paracord for a chair? Ha ha, I'll stick to my bushcraft throne. Those who know me, know what I mean.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Don't forget to take a first aid kit..
    After re-reading, I see you won't lol..

My advice - take only the essentials, the trouble is, you - like me don't know what the essentials are until you have been out at least a couple of times, on my first trip with a hammock I carried way too much, lucky for me it wasn't a long walk in
    I even took a pen and pad to write down all the things I didn't use, when it was time to do the check-list I found that I had left the pen at home
    My kit list now looks like this. Tarp, hammock, sleeping bag, stove, fuel, lighter, water, food, cook pan, mug, toilet paper and a trowel what goes in must come out !! As extras I always carry some kind of knife and I don't leave home without my dslr.
    Other people will have their own take on what the essentials are and you will find out your own soon enough, "Enjoy it", that's what it's all about any way. Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Trapper
    Oh and as a dad too, who is taking his 10yr old daughter for her first proper wild camp next week - I know you mentioned a first aid kit but remember to throw in some sachets of calpol and some infant piriton. I got bitten to death last weekend and some anti-histamines would have been bliss for me. For a little one - essential, as is some insect repellent for that matter. Last lot I bought was 9 quid in my local chemist so I bought it at B&M for about ~2.50

Hobo
    The missus has just shown me the lads first attempts at carving - a tent peg and a 'fork'. Quite frankly, I'm amazed!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	5215

Hobo
    By the way, how come I'm now a 'Hobo', and no longer 'Lost in The Wilderness'?