Thread: All about the Bees :)

All about the Bees :)

Two of my friends, Foxy and J have this year embarked on an adventure in beekeeping. They spent a while researching, then went on a beekeeping course. They spent some time and effort prepping the site and in May they picked up a working hive. They started with just the brood box and added a new super. Last month they added another super as the girls have been real busy despite the poor weather

So, I've been keeping an eye on their FB page (Fox and Massinghams' Hendra Croft honey... Have a look if ya fancy) and also quizzing J and Tom about the ins n outs. A coupla weeks ago j invited me over to help him out doing a hive inspection and I almost bit his hand off. I've wanted to keep bees for years and I was mad keen to have a look.

So on a warm Julys day a coupla weeks ago I dressed up smart for the girls and fell in love with the hobby.

Happy keeper by roadkillphil, on Flickr

The front Door by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Opening up by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Cracking frames by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Fisrst super by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Honey! by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Gently now by roadkillphil, on Flickr

Hmmm, a heavy frame by roadkillphil, on Flickr

I was so stoked I wanted to jump straight in with both feet, but I got sensible, practical and thought about the finances and seasons etc and I have made a plan. I'm going to try and get over to Hendra Croft as much as possible and learn. I also have a good friend whos father in law has a hive and is considered to be a master beekeeper. I'm going to be learning off him too. In the short term, I've got myself a bee smock and a book recommended to me by J. Research and experience is what I'm looking at gaining now. I have a possible site for the hive too, just gotta iron that out with the owner. As with your manner around the ladies, it probably is'nt wise to dive in all hurried and stuff.

For me, this project is more about the bees than the honey. Some honey would be nice, for me, my friends and the land owner, but I just loved being around the bees and was left in awe of being allowed a peek into the amazing world.

thanks for looking

Phil
    Last edited by Roadkillphil; 05-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Tramp
    That's great Phil. I too have been fascinated by bees for as long as I recall.

For some unknown reason, watching them has some sort of hypnotic effect on me much the same as staring at the flames of an open fire. Unfortunately I've also lost count of the times I've intended to do something about it and trade the fascination for knowledge.

Keep us posted as you progress please mate.

AL

Looks really cool mate
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

One of our mates have put a hive down in our plot . Its fntastic to just sit and watch them go about there day.
    I have a habit of just sitting and forgeting the time they are so cool to watch.
    Hope ye get yer own hives in the near future Phil .

Cheers
    AL

Peasant
    Never really liked bees that much as a kid but now I've seen a different side. We've just discovered a bees nest in our garden. Slap bang in the middle of the garden to be clear - can't believe we didn't think it could be there before since we'd noticed loads of bees on our flowers and bushes!
    They've built a nest in a hole our long departed rabbit made a few years ago that I thought had been blocked up - obviously I didn't do a very good job (or so my wife keeps telling me)!

Watching them fly in and out and pondering all around our garden is very relaxing - have to agree with AL. We've enjoyed it so much the family now thinks I should put a hive in our garden! Not too sure the neighbours would be too pleased with this one.