Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone fish hooks

Bone fish hooks

Here's some fish hooks I made from Cow shin bone. The shape of the bone helped with the hook shape.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Have you ever actually tried fishing with something like this? I'd love to know how people get on with them.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Have you ever actually tried fishing with something like this? I'd love to know how people get on with them.

Martin
    Not yet Martin. I want to use natural cordage as my line and I'm still making it. It'll probably be the spring before I get to use them as my fingers are knackered with arthritis and I can only make a bit of cordage at a time before they get too stiff and sore.

Here's a few that were made by some of us over at Backwoods survival school. They are wooden shafts with bone barbs. Tied up with Lime bark and sealed with pine resin and beeswax.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. Would be fantastic to actually catch something with that sort of gear though. Not too sure I'd trust natural cordage to preserve my finely crafted bone hooks though. Wouldn't our ancestors have used something like sinew for fishing line?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Would be fantastic to actually catch something with that sort of gear though. Not too sure I'd trust natural cordage to preserve my finely crafted bone hooks though. Wouldn't our ancestors have used something like sinew for fishing line?

Martin
    Sinew would go all spaghetti like when it got wet and the fishing line would have been made from natural materials anyway. I'll treat the line with beeswax or perhaps Birch tar to improve it's water proofness. Hooks get lost and that's the way of things. If the line breaks and I lose the hooks...........well, it's just a reason to make some more and think about what I will need to do to inprove the line next time.

those hooks are really nice!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt_Ginger View Post
    Here's some fish hooks I made from Cow shin bone. The shape of the bone helped with the hook shape.
    Beautiful hooks, thanks for sharing. Any chance of some rough measurements for scale on the hooks in the first photo?

It does take a long time to make any length of natural-cordage

Here's an example of size.
    http://www.bushcraftni.com
    http://bushcraftni.blogspot.com
    Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association

We have Dog Bane here in North America. The Indians would use it for fish nets and for fishing line. It is said to be water proof-water resistant sounds more like it, it is strong and easy to find here in most of OK, MO and the like.
    It also makes great bow strings and snares.
    It does not process as well as stinging nettle or yucca leaves.