Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Cantebury on tool options

Dave Cantebury on tool options

Highly interesting video - I have been having very similar thoughts lately.

I like the whole principle of the three main cutting tools. It is a good idea to have a knife that will withstand the abuse that comes with batonning - but your knife should never be your first and/or only option for splitting wood.

No need writing to tell him that Opinels are from France and not Finland btw - people have done so several times in the comments.

Thanks Jakob

George Washington Sears (aka Nessmuk) had the same idea way back.

He called it the trinity of cutting, if my fading memory serves me right, he has a folding pocket knife, the Nessmuk knife (an adapted horse butchering knife) and a double bit axe.

Name:  nessmuk.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  19.2 KB

all the best

Ade

Interesting and useful video - thanks Jeep.

It confirms what I was taught as a boy - to respect your tools, know what they are capable of, what they can and can't be used for, treasure them but use them wisely, make sure you don't use them inappropriately and always have something in your back pocket, just in case.....

I agree. Very interesting and informative.

Always fancied one of those double bit axe's
    Good vid and great info

Cheers
    AL

I have trouble keeping my fingers from springing leaks when I have to deal with single edges, so I think I will keep my hands off the double edge :-)

It all makes sense to me. My little hatchet is not heavier than that I keep it in my pack most of the time I am out these days. Mostly becouse I keep forgetting it is there.
    I do not really need it now in the summer.

But else I have the leuku, that I use mostly for processing fire wood, and everything else that needs chopping. And the Enzo Trapper, which is fairly small is my belt knife. And gets used pretty much for everything that the Leuku is not better at. BTW the Leuku is on a carabinier and I just hang it off the dangler on the Enzo sheath while I use it. Else it stays on the back of my pack while walking. The thing is so long it's just in my way while hiking....

Then in my pocket I have the Leatherman ST300. We'll see how it goes with that now that I have the SAK Climber. It's so large that I keep it in my jacket pocket, and I don't always have a jacket on when i am out. The SAK I just stick in my jeans pocket all the time now.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post

No need writing to tell him that Opinels are from France and not Finland btw - people have done so several times in the comments.
    As is typical with most Americans, they do not worry too much about finite details, outside the boarders of the USA.
    But please don't get me wrong, I hold Dave Canterbury in high esteem, even though I look more like Cody Lundin, with long hair and I'm mostly bare footed, even in winter.
    So much so, I bought one of his tomahawks, over the web and find it preferable to the heavier Swedish axes, for the scrubby bush and light bodied trees we have, in my part of SA.
    I always have a number 8 Opinel (carbon steel) in my pocket and carry a selection of other fixed blade knives, depending on the time of year, so it looks like I'm leaning towards a carry option from the 1700's.

Over here in the US, Old Dave is thought to be quite fond of using other folks ideas without proper credit. He is not held in the highest regard by some US bushcraft groups. Cody, on the other hand, is well thought of, if you can get by the "little girl" pigtail hairdo and his shoe phobia. Cheers.

Unfortunately the internet is a double edged sword for opinions on people.

I was recently the subject of some abuse after a video I did on my YouTube channel wherein I was tagged to say what my one item to go to the woods with would be - I chose my axe and gave its name. I was then accused of advertising, I was however backed up by several of my subscribers and the good folk here.

Dave Canterbury appears to have fallen into the same trap possibly, although I will say that he did do one video of a pot suspension system claiming it was his idea. One of the comments stated that he shouldn't have claimed it was his, this comment was added by somebody who had included the system in his book.

A book that DC was doing the forward for, therefore the commenter felt Dave had ripped his idea off. Dave promptly deleted the comment by the guy whom claimed the idea first.

Ade.

Sheesh, this guy seems to know his stuff for sure, but he's just too intense! Was he a Drill Sargeant in a past life? Slow down and chill out, buddy...
    Last edited by treefrog; 12-10-2012 at 11:42 PM.