Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: advice first time wild camping

i don t mate i live close to exmouth not far from dartmoor

Trapper
    Hi folks, i lived in Princetown for three and a half years back in the 80,s. The weather up there can turn dangerous in twenty mins. When i still could do so, i used to walk for miles across the moors, alone and with an old chap who had lived up there all his life. Sadly he died a few years ago. I used to know a couple of the Dartmoor Rescue Group and the advice was make sure the local police know you will be out there and dont forget to let them know as soon as you return. Dont forget, plan how long each walk will take, then double it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    Dont get eaten by the bears
    Good advice. Look out for signs like this:

Hobo
    Make sure you just buy a survival bivy bag and a blanket along with a survival kit including a extensive range of fire lighting equipment. These are just some obvious essentials but do remember to take them, also get two or three flares. It may sound silly but they could also be used for fire lighting. Also any local pubs or search and rescue buildings you should check in giving them a detailed route and pan of where you will be staying in the night. give time zone for when you will arrive back and tell them to raise alarm a desired amount of hours afterward.
    Also think of purchasing ray mears bushcraft and book and sas survival. Hope that helps!

Trapper
    Hi Sojot. I live in Berkshire and would be happy to help with advice. Give me a yell. If you've camped out fishing and still have the enthusiasm for going wild camping then you've done ok so far. Tarp and bivi or tent should be fine. Small meths stove and a pot for cooking in and a mug for drinks. Sleeping bag and a bed roll and a rucksack. If you want to make a habit of regular outdoor trips go to Cotswold in Reading and kit up there. Not cheap but I've got kit that's 20 years old and still going strong. They are great for clothing advice too. Helly base layer, fleece mid and a breathable shell are a must have. Or buy a buffalo shirt for a one off layer that does everything. You need a good tent or really good bivi if you want to use a down bag but synthetic bags will still be warm if they get damp. If you want to go over somewhere like the lookout and practice in controlled conditions I can help out.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    That sign gave me a giggle Mike.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    That sign gave me a giggle Mike.. lol
    Me too, read it to the wife and even she laughed!

Tribal Elder
    LMFAO!!!!! love it
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Now that's a proper sign and the message should sink in...

Hey Sojot, hope you get out for some good camping (or WILD camping as you guys say), looks like you got lots of good advice here.
    The biggest danger, however, is the fact that you're gonna be hooked on it and you'll be itchin' to get out every weekend!

I see this Dartmoor place mentioned a lot...must be a primo spot...(BTW Martin I enjoyed watching your video diary). Not much advice I can
    offer from where I sit over here, just be sure to take some pics and tell us all about the adventure....and Don't get eaten by the Bears...
    (did Tony warn you about that already?).

Jack