Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why you should always be worried about the camo clad ones.

Why you should always be worried about the camo clad ones.

No pictures with this one, we figured we should let this chap keep some of his dignity on the day, so none were taken. Myself and a friend were running a 48 hour survival course for some city folks. Basic stuff, shelter building, fire making, water, signals, navigation, etc. We'd picked a nice spot near a dry river gully that ran down to a river about 600 meters down the way. Most of the folks were seasonal ski bunnies or bushwalkers, but there was this one bloke who showed up completely in camo gear and with a croc-dundee style bowie knife strapped to his hip. He didnt like to listen too well, but he was getting on with his job, not doing too badly for someone who seemed to have learned everything he knew of the outdoors from rambo movies. We decided that it might pay to give him a simple but important task to fulfill to get him over his all knowingness, so we sent him for water. Simple instructions, follow the gully down, about 600 meters you'll find a river, then follow it back. We gave him a map and compass just in case, and we'd already taught the group basic navigation. Off he went, and when he wasnt back in half an hour we were worried. An hour passed before we decided we needed to go look for him. We found him 2 hours later, hopelessly lost about 1.5 km from the camp.

So, the good bit. He'd set off for water, confident in his ability to survive anything easily! Seems the silly bugger saw a rabbit, and decided his best bet would be to throw his knife at it in order to secure food for the group, which would explain why we found the tip of it on his spoor as he charged out of the gully after the bunny. He apparantly made a second attempt at the thing after chasing it around for about 5 minutes, and lost his knife completely, though we did find it on the way back. When we found him, he was utterly lost, covered in mud and soaked to the bone (swam across the river because he thought he crossed it somewhere, cant figure out how you THINK you cross a river), sitting on a rock trying to knap a knife out of granite.

Always pays to keep an eye on these ones.

Lol!!! Does he have a youtube account?

I'd put a whistle on the Kit List in future!

Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Alas, no youtube account, though that mountainous thread reminded me :P And yeah, whistles are now mandatory and provided when we (very rarely) run a course :P

Is why I brought it up. Just checked Mountainous, he has guitar p(r)aying videos now, I didn't know to laugh or quickly stop watching. Lol

Mate, those videos have been more damaging to my uni grades than if i decided to drink antifreeze before every exam :P

Tribal Elder
    hahaha oh dear... I can't think of many people who would actually attempt to catch a rabbit by throwing a bowie knife at it...that is a new one!

People like that scare me. They are exactly the kind of people that might accidently kill you, in a genuine survival situation...

Hmmm....I occationally wear camo and big knife when I step of the asphalt...hope that is not to much frowned upon...lol
    I love my Norwegian army jacket, and my woodland camo M-65 as well....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Scared me too, locked him down after that, gave him a mora and set him about carving trap triggers, he was more than happy, genuinely scared he was going to die out there.