Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another knife I made.....

Yet another knife I made.....

Commissioned by a bud to make this knife, close to his design and I modified it a bit to work better (he's never designed a knife before, so was happy with the additions I put in it):

He wanted me to rough shape the Micarta handle scales to the shape of the tang, but wanted to finish shaping the handle itself, so making a form fitting sheath became difficult since I didn't have a means to mold the sheath around the 'non-existant' handle until after he was done. So I came up with this lacing set up so he can adjust the friction as he liked, and I wouldn't have to work on the sheath after. Nice little toggle made from deer antler as a decorative peice and lace holder. O1 blade has been sandblasted then soaked in hot white vinegar to oxidize it to make it pretty rustproof (for a high carbon steel, this is way cool!)

And yes, that is a bottle opener at the rear of the grip.

Nice idea on the sheath system. The blade looks great as well. Question on that bottle opener though, looking at the pic it seems as if it would catch your hand a bit.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Thanks. Bottle opener does that with no handle scales, isn't so bad with the scales on it. Up to Josh to sort it out, he's fine with it's placement like that and I don't find it that bad at all, even though I notice it's there. Will see what he thinks once he gets it (hopefully this week, still waiting for a shipping address and payment from him.) Had been keeping him up to speed on progress, said he's as giddy as a child waiting to receive it. Hehe, I like anticipation.

That's a really nice knife!

What's the false edge on the back for?
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

Thanks Bambii. It's to make the blade peirce better, and it looks a bit cooler. Knife is for a soldier friend of mine, he likes the look of the blade finish because it's 'rustic' (from my heat treating, there are little blisters in the steel that the etch has brought out more), so to keep that going I made the sheath the same style. Initially he wawnted just the knife as he was going to make his own sheath from Kydex, then a couple weeks ago asked if I could add in a leather sheath, so at least if he makes a sheath for it, he can have the best of both worlds for this knife.

Nice job. Love the sheath.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    good job, I like it

nice m8 looks smart.

Oh ok. Hope to see some pics when he finishes up the handle and all.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

nicely done. u said u put it in vinegar to make it rustproof? Can i do same with my mora carbon knife when it will arrive? Will such process make blade to last longer? Won't it affect blade sharpening?