Thread: A Guide to Crayfish Trapping

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Lightbulb A Guide to Crayfish Trapping

After a helpful comment on one of my old YouTube videos (where I reviewed a Crayfish trap)... I found out that the expandable, net trap I had was actually illegal to use now as it can easily trap otters also.

Here is a PDF document I found from the Enviroment Agency, titled:

"Using the Right Trap - A Guide to Crayfish Trapping" - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/218966/Forum...h-trapping.pdf

It obviously has some useful guidelines if your interested in trapping Crayfish and it enlightened me on how my trap isn't exactly appropriate.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I would've thought there would be a concession if otters aren't prevalent in your area. Also there might be a way to modify the trap i.e. fitting a guard on it to make it safe perhaps. Shame really because those traps are excellent for the task in hand bar anything else.

Although this trap I made to catch minnows is very effective in that regard it also catches crayfish. No chance of an otter being trappped here. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by asemery View Post
    Although this trap I made to catch minnows is very effective in that regard it also catches crayfish. No chance of an otter being trappped here. Tony

Ingenious!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Hi Ash,
    thanks for the information, I saw a bit on TV about 3 well know individuals in a boat who were catching and eating crayfish and quite fancied a go myself.
    I looked at the environment agencies forms for trapping crayfish that you have kindly highlighted, and unless you already know exactly where you will be trapping (and already have the landowners permission) it looks like a permit would be difficult. So for anyone just out and about it is not encouraging.
    I like the idea of helping to keep down the alien ones and being safe to other wildlife and the information is quite comprehensive but I feel the red tape is a bit daunting or am I misreading the rules?.
    Cheers
    BJ
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

IIRC There are very few rivers where the native species still survive
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/