Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaiters

Gaiters

Hey y'all!
    Wanted to challenge your expertise and ask for your advice! Been hunting a couple times last week and had to pass through wheat fields and high grass to get to my post at a fox burrow. Afterwards the lower parts of my pants were always soaked and i cooled out quite fast. I hope that waterproof gaiters will do the trick. Have any of you some experience with such? Which ones are worth their price? From which ones should I leave my hands off? They should be tough as the forests here are full of thorny shrubbery.

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Have a nice weekend!

For the past year or so ive been using a set of tresspass gaiters, i think i payed 20 quid or roundabouts. Fantastic, cover up to just bellow my knees. Cant say ive walked throught thorns ad the likes, though i should imagine they would hold up quite well as they seem to be made from a tought nylon like material.

Hope this helps , Robb
    Every mile on a river takes you further from home than every hundred miles on a road.

I hope thats a birchbark canoe in your pocket.... - I guess i should give some credit to Metal Mug

Trekmates ...I had a pair a while back they were top notch and kept my lower legs dry and warm in conjunction with my Lowa boots. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012B4RZ...SIN=B0012B4RZU http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trekmate...gaiter-p119054 If its toughness then try something cheaper like these on fleabay ...they come up all the time. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-army-co...item20c57d161d
    Last edited by cuppa joe; 12-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    oh well try again

ayt! Thanks for that! Those trekmates look neat alright!

Anybody else made some experiences?

When I'm out a wandering, I always have a pair of gaiters in my pack, as even when it isn't raining, it is often fairly muddy roundabouts. I favour ankle gaiters for hiking and bought a pair of Trekmates ankle gaiters from Mountain Warehouse over a year ago (for something daft like a fiver) and they are still going stong.

But, from what your saying you want a bit more leg coverage, so these knee high gaiters might be more what you are after. They are also Trekmates (but a different style to the ones Joe has) and they are cheapest I have seen recently (in fact, I think I saw them going for £12 in my local Mountain Warehouse last week) but as I have not got a pair myself, I can not offer any feed back on them.

TK Max also seem to sell a lot of Trekmates gear (well the Truro one does) if you have one near where you are, might be worth popping in for a gander?

Good Luck
    Ansum La

Hobo
    I have had a pair of canvas trail wise gaiters for three seasons beating, I treated them with Barbour thorn proof dressing to make them more water resistant (there is a nylon waterproof version for the same price) They have taken a hammering through brambles and gorse and show no sign of wear, the boot straps are 6mm bungee with meatal clips which can be replaced easily if they show any sign of wear (none so far).
    They are a standard design so a pretty universal fit (I have scapa boots)

http://www.trailwise.co.uk/Trailwise-gaiter.html

I think I paid about £25 delivered, so they won't break the bank and made in the UK, so your helping the manufacturing sector of the economy at the same time as keeping your legs dry.
    Last edited by Merman; 12-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Is life all -1^0.5

Both Maria and I have a pair of Laksen Hull gaiters - I do not use mine a lot, but Maria uses her's quite often.

I bought a pair of gelert gaiters from argos. Sorry I don't know the name of the gaiters only that they are made by Gelert. Anyway, I've used them to death, they're not too loose like I've found other gaiters to be, they've never let me down, always kept me perfectly dry even when submerged for a second or two over the top of the boot, they've been scuffed against rock caught on thorns etc. they've protected my boots and still look brand new even after 2 years of generally being abused.... Well worth the £9.99 I paid for them. If they ever wear out I'll definitely buy another pair.

Wanderer
    My gaitors are Berghaus and i have had them for over twenty years but i dont oftern wear them as my legs are short and they come right upto me knees. But they are gortex,waterproof, and thornproof. i would recomend them

I have a pair of Outdoor Designs gaiters that are bombproof, they get loads of use & need them here in the Dark Peak as its so damn boggy and in my other ahem 'pastime' i tend to be out in some of the sh*ttiest weather. Useful for keeping our Lyme ridden ticks off your legs too
    [