Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelter Roofing

Tribal Elder

Shelter Roofing

Hi guys, first post :-)

Was making a shelter today, was going to leave it up for the local kids to mess about with.

I was using my basha as a roof but naturally took it home with me - whats the best thing to use to clad the roof? I would use heather usually - im pretty sure they used it for houses up here at one point. None was nearby though...hardly any evergreens either...

It was thick with snow...but the temp went up so not ideal now...all wet.

By the look of your photo mate there is a lot of leaf litter lying about, put some more cross beams on your shelter and then start throwing the leaf litter on top of that.
    Learn a little, Enjoy a lot.

http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com/

yeah m8 just make it in to a debris shelter,

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I would suggest any broad leafed branches would be great, rhodadendron is plentiful around here, even at this time of year. Failing that, or in the absence of any spruce boughs, a leaf litter roof is great.

I guess it's worth mentioning the 'leave no trace' principle, which dictates that you should remove all evidence of your activity after you have moved on.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Tribal Elder
    Cheers I thought about roddy too but the roddy is absent on that hill. Might leaf it later if I get time.

The no trace thing I observe but the kids usually have a den there anyway .. local idiots trashed it. Thing had been standing since I was a kid before they wrecked it...

Will post if I get back

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Leaf litter all the way. Its what I use. Just make sure it is from armpit to finger tip deep or it won't do the job in our wet weather.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Hobo
    Just litter the roof with any sized bows and branches and then on top place either debris or more layers of bows or small logs. As long as you have a great enough incline the logs will work surprisingly well! A ray mears technique!

I think the roof should be steeper (as NN says) and use broad leaf bows (as Martin says) or bracken, pine or anything else that will make the water flow whilst it's penetrating.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Steeper roof = faster water dispersal and less water penetrating through the roof.. The more thatch, the better too..

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    Steeper roof = faster water dispersal and less water penetrating through the roof.. The more thatch, the better too..
    And the better laid, the better run off. I've had guys on courses put it on all higgledy piggledy and it's not done nearly as well as people who put less on better.

PS I note that gals tend to get it right first time
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook