Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel for fire making

Steel for fire making

OK this will most likley be a dumb question BUT!!!!
    what makes a good steel for throwing sparks from flint?
    And would an old file do the job ok? Never thought of useing one before comming on the fourms here as I always carry a couple of lighters when I used to head out
    I collected some Horsehoof fungi when I was out the road on sunday and cut some up got it to smolder real good useing a Magnesum (spelling sucks) stick and the back of my knife But realy want to try with flint and steel .
    Need to head to the beach now so I can find some flint I think.

Cheers
    AL

A peace of broken File works - grind the edge smooth and strick away like a goodun I got my one I use from the Wilderness gathering Made by Dave Budd I think he has a website that may sell such things

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AL... View Post
    ...Need to head to the beach now so I can find some flint I think.

Cheers
    AL
    Check this out Al

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/arch...cial/flint.asp

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thanks for that John I dident know if it should be left rough or if I needed to grind the file

Martin Thanks for the info on the Flint ... Lived here all my life and dident know about the mines there.
    I did wonder why we got some flints on the beach here

Cheers
    AL

Al If you want some right nice flint from the South ESSEX chalk quarrys that are right out side my back garden I could send you some for the postage price.

Tony that would be fantastic mate aye . How do we go about that?

Cheers
    AL

Al PM me you'r adress or you,r phon number and I'll get in touch

This article may interest you:

http://blog.artandscienceofsurvival.com/2012/04/harder-but-not-that-hard.html

Also, you don't need flint, you just need something hard. We have no flint in Devon, so I use quartz. Give it a good smack to get a decent edge (mind your eyes) and have fun making fire.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

I've even used bits of broken pottery to get sparks from a steel. Basically the struck object needs to have an edge that is hard and sharp enough to scrape a piece of steel from the striker. The steel will produce sparks if it has enough carbon to burn and is hard enough that the shearing of the piece from its surface generates friction sufficient to ignite said carbon

So the best combo is:

Hard, sharp and elastic material for the 'stone' (flint is very elastic, so supports a better edge than say obsidian which is more brittle)
    Hard, very high carbon steel for the steel (surface finish is less important, but if it is ridged like the non-safe side of a file then it will break the flint edge easily)

Quartz (and the quartz crystals in granite, basalt, coarse pottery, etc) has corners that can be sharp enough to work and while they aren't as elastic as flint, they do break into new sharp edges due to the smaller grain sizes Basically just pick up anything that you can get a sharp corner on and give it a go!

I know folk who use car springs for steels and they work well, files work better though. That is because the files have more carbon (1% vs 0.5-0.6% for springs) to burn and also are capable of greater hardness as a result. BUT a higher alloy such as 52100 ('bearing steel') has the same 1% and will attain a high hardness, but won't create such good sparks due to the other alloying elements hindering the process. The stuff I use is low alloy and hits 1.1% carbon. I reckon I could make an even better firesteel if I make my own steel, but that would make them very expensive! Then of course there are heat treating effects, quenching temperatures, quench mediums (speed of cooling), grain refinement, etc, etc. All make some difference and you have to experiment to see what works with your steel. Strangely, I've noticed that the steels I make in the workshop using a coke forge and a large bucket of water for quenching are better sparkers than the ones made in the charocal demo forge and a small bucket of water, despite the steel type and temperatures being the same. weird
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Tony you need to clear a messege or 2 mate yer full up LOL

Cheers
    AL