Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live from Hells kitchen

Tribal Elder
    awesome fella!!! bushcraft as it should be, lovely spaced woods which forrest you in?
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Quote Originally Posted by alvino78 View Post
    awesome fella!!! bushcraft as it should be, lovely spaced woods which forrest you in?
    Not in a forest, just a nice handy bit of woodland with a stream below and out of sight of passing walkers etc near some of the most rugged and barren parts of the Dark Peak
    [

Trapper
    Great pics and post, thanks for sharing it.
    There are no strangers, just friends I have not met

Great write up and pic's
    Thanks for sharing

Cheers
    AL

Looks like you had fun, nice one
    Ansum La

Nice one chaps! Enjoyed reading this Thanks for sharing
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

loved the write up, now I'm jealous, got to book a night of work VERY soon.

Well here I am, slogging away at work, with the damp chill of friday night/saturday morning a hot bath-warm bed behind me!
    Sapper and I had arranged a swift night out to test some kit mods and blow off some steam, so it was into 'Sharon' the trusty VW sharan and up the M1 a few junctions(lesson #1- stay off M1 northbound between J26 and J32 on friday afternoons!!)
    First dilemma was the toons for the journey, was it to be Christy Moores' 'Smoke and strong whiskey' or Levellers 'levelling the land'.....mmmm? Levellers won this time but it was close! So head-nodding and dashboard-drumming I headed into the rain....
    Both the rain and the traffic eased past J32 and it was soon a left turn and into 'them thar heeyuls', all the time wondering what important item of kit was still at home on the dining table, ah well whatever it turns out to be, I'll have to do without it!
    I was soon at the RV in the shadow of a big 'ill, the rain having stopped and perched me self on a huge style, still humming 'the boatman' and soaking up the view....
    Sapper was soon on the scene and off we went into 'said view'....
    After a short hike down into the clough we arrived at the site, its off the beaten track and we had used it for a previous night out. Hammocky trees were selected and we tied up. Having krab-modded my hammock the week previous I was eager to put it through its paces(lesson #2- make sure you have enough webbing to reach round your hammocky trees!) I had to use some 8mm climbing rope as the webbing was too short to reach round the trees!!
    I had decided to pack my tarp already threaded through the ridgeline hoops and I must admit it did save time as we were now feeling the odd spot of rain. I also put up a kit line to hang up my waterproofs and car key, just above the hammock.
    By this time we were both ready for a brew and some nosebag so it was out with the stoves and whilst my trusty tatonka was doing the business with some council-wine, it was firewood time....
    To say it was damp is a bit of an understatement, all the fallen deadwood was soaked but there was enough standing deadwood, still very damp tho! The TFF method served sapper well as after a few strokes of the firesteel the tampon and fatwood were alight, flame on! Out with sachet of kenco 3in1 and on with some more council-wine for Bachelors quick-cook-dried-pasta-n-sauce-thingy. Meanwhile sapper was busying himself with fresh-ground coffee, fresh pasta with meatballs and sauce, cooked in his zebra over the fire!(Always has to go one better lol)
    With dinner served we sat under onther tarp next to fire, chowed down while trying to identify the bird song( what was that bird? Sounds like its laughing! At us probably!)....
    The rain decided to grace us with its full presence and I anxiously checked my hammock for water..so far so good I thought! We chewed the fat and put the world to more rights, poked the fire, toasted sangers on sappers sanger-toaster-gizmo(*note to self-buy sanger-toasting gizmo*) and sipped our finery, purely for medicinal purposes I tell you! We had found a piece of corrugated sheet that was just pefect for a fire shield/heat reflector and as the flames died down it was time for bed..er...hammock!
    With a rollmat under the DD and wool blanket over my sleeping bag I sure was toasty and soon in dreamland.....
    Its funny when you first wake up, slightly confused and very cold, how long it takes to realise that lesson#3 is not far away!(Lesson3#-when using 8mm climbing rope *ALWAYS* make sure that its tied tightly around the tree so that it simply won't roll down the trunk while you toss n turn n fidget in your sleep thus transforming your hammock into a bivvy)...
    As I opened my eyes, I thought to myself, 'that's wierd! I can see the floor and I'm on the floor!..wierd! ...mmm...somethings amiss!' Yup, I was on the dogshelf! But the DD is waterfroof and the mat thermal so all was not bad!( Had I just invented a new cross-discipline genre-bivvy-hammocking for people with Vertigo!) So after some scratching n shivering we got a brew on, as amazingly the embers were still glowing and listened to some more bird-laughs! We stuck camp and were away by 7am...
    All in all, we had a cracking night, bit on the moist side but hey ho! I think I have learned some valuable lessons which were probably best learned through choice than necessity and I think, in all seriousness its good to test your kit in less than perfect conditions sometimes cos one day you may not have a choice..
    Till next time

Nat

Ps pics to follow as tapping this out via tappy-talky-thingy on a tiny BB screen and I've now got eyes like the proverbial 'w****ing-jap-sniper'!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

Tribal Elder
    sounds a great camp! here's to the next!!
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1275.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	4478
    we were in there
    We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.