Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleman tent £65 980grams

Tribal Elder

Coleman tent £65 980grams

Just spotted this while faffing about on the amazon.

Sure its nothing fancy... could more than do the job though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Certainly light enough, half the weight of the banshee. It looks as though its only single skin which might pose the condensation problems that some of these types of tent have. As an occasional shelter though its one I might have considered.

Tribal Elder
    as long as the sheets arent touching you then its not so bad...two people though and itll start to drip i reckon

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    The Amazon reviews aren't very promising. May be a one season tent that you could leave the door open to prevent condensation. To be honest, my Terra Nova Laser suffers from condensation and that's a double skin tent with very good ventilation so a single skin tent as small as this is going to get mighty damp.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Trapper
    It seems like a luxury bivi bag, and cheaper than most of them. The only bad thing I can see is the lack of porch. In bad weather I like to cook under cover to stop that whole "never ending soup" scenario. To overcome this problem I would end up carrying a tarp to allow overhead cover but that would push the weight up. I have a Vau De Hogan which weighs twice as much but is large enough for 2 and you can sit up in it and get changed. It also has a porch for cooking or kit storage. It also pitches fly first with the inner attached to the fly so you can keep everything dry if you are forced to pitch it in the rain. See if you can find a Hogan on ebay. At Cotswold myself and a colleague could pitch one in 55 seconds and it's free standing so you can get in it in a real hurry if you don't want to guy it out. However £65 for less than a kilo of tent is a bargain despite not having a porch or head room.

oh well try again

Cheers for the link, was looking for a lightweight ground dwelling option to use instead of my hammock setup.

It's a single skin tent. Don't bother as you'll end up soaked by condensation
    The same comment applies to the single skin Goretex tents. Unless the atmospherics are ideal for the Goretex to work properly, and they never are , then you still end up getting soaked but having shelled out a lot more wedge.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Thanks for the advice Bonzo ... What do you recommend for a lightweight bivvi or tent. I'm willing to spend a little to get the right thing. But must be fairly lightweight

I used a single skin tent during my overnight fishing expedetions...no problem with condensation, but it had fairly good ventilation, and I kept everything open as it was quite warm then.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum