Page 98 of 117 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Oh I will burn down the forest with Napalm, if that is what is needed in an emergency. And in the situation you describe, use my BIC.

For all other situations I prefer using flint and steel these days, purely for fun :-)
    And there you have it Rune (FUN), and thats the main reason we go out and do what we do isnt it.Why beat yourself up cos you feel like your cheating or you cant manage to do friction. When matches came along my great,g,g, grandparents didnt say thats cheating, they most definately said "great Ime having me some of that". If I had to I can make a hearth, spindle and bow and 5 times out of 10 (at least) make fire, but I wont carry something 50 times heavier than matches and a lighter around with me . Ime lucky in as much that 'Shropshire' is full of Spruce or pine of one sort or another and can "always" get something to burn in all conditions. By the way Rune I do like your youtube vids all very interesting and easy to watch, some youtubers set your nerves on end. Have fun out there and I hope you get work soon, atvb Ken ....made this one with a click of a button,lol ps. the "burn down the forest with napalm" made me laugh.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 31-12-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Keeping kit in order is a natural part of bushcraft. I am afraid I have slipped up there and half of it I have not even seen since I put it away after my klast overnighter back in september.
    So my first bushcraft thing to do this year I guess is to get an idea of what I have, what is good to go, what needs maintenace and what needs to be replaced or aquired...

This as I was just seconds away from ordering a new tea pot, when I remembered I have a whole shelf full of cooking pots in the shed, that never see any use...so I managed to fight back my shiny kit syndrome for now.

So what about you? How often do you look your kit over and sort it out?
    Me I do a minimum after each trip. Like hanging up to dry, clean what needs celaning etc. But if there is some time between each trip, things tend to start to float around he place, and I lose
    sight of where things are kept. Wich again leads to a lot of swearing, huffing and puffing when I pack.

Thats why I try to keep my little "get home bag"...well thats quite an over statement for a little shoulder bag containing a tea pot and something to heat in it + a FAK and a knife...
    ...but I kalways keep it packed and tidy, ready to just grab and go when the mood to have a cuppa under the trees strikes me...which starts to be a while ago now...getting lazy.

Anyway, I'll get my gear together, that way that will not be used as an excuse for not going out anymore...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    And there you have it Rune (FUN), and thats the main reason we go out and do what we do isnt it.Why beat yourself up cos you feel like your cheating or you cant manage to do friction. When matches came along my great,g,g, grandparents didnt say thats cheating, they most definately said "great Ime having me some of that". If I had to I can make a hearth, spindle and bow and 5 times out of 10 (at least) make fire, but I wont carry something 50 times heavier than matches and a lighter around with me . Ime lucky in as much that 'Shropshire' is full of Spruce or pine of one sort or another and can "always" get something to burn in all conditions. By the way Rune I do like your youtube vids all very interesting and easy to watch, some youtubers set your nerves on end. Have fun out there and I hope you get work soon, atvb Ken ....made this one with a click of a button,lol ps. the "burn down the forest with napalm" made me laugh.
    Yeah. If flint and steel fires where not so fun I'd be using a BIC every time :-)
    And I do when my small one is with me. Learned from that time he fell asleep in the snow while I played with the flint and steel to get the fire going. He just wanted his hot dogs and hot chockolate...lol
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Took some time out this evening to do a bit of tlc to some gear. The boy has friends over for a birthday sleepover and they are still creating a racket upstairs now. Used the time wisely by getting out the Belvoir Leather Balsam and treating all the leather gear to a good rubbing down.

made a bowl last night out of a lump of sycamore,the wife asked me to make her a sugar bowl so thats what it will be.
    had a sharpening session this morning,ended up doing all the kitchen knives aswell...atb kev

Quote Originally Posted by Basha72 View Post
    Had a quick flick through uncle Rays outdoor survival book I got of e bay for a couple of quid, the one with him stood with his bino's and map/compass not a bad read, will help pass some time at work !!

Dave
    And me ! Also reading his autobiography at the moment

Reground, sharpened & honed my axe. Went into the woods and cut a nice bit of hazel for a new thumb stick.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Tramp
    Last night I re-taped all of the seams in my army surplus bivvy bag... the old ones must have been hanging off for ages - I wondered why I kept getting damp feet! I used some iron on seam tape from Pennine Outdoors. The results look good but time will tell if they hold up in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    Reground, sharpened & honed my axe. Went into the woods and cut a nice bit of hazel for a new thumb stick.
    Great - now I've got something for flint knapping at the Breakfast Club meet
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Half way on cleaning up the shed and found most of my stuff in relative good order, but a couple of things have gone AWOL. Managed to track a couple of things down after a 3. degree interrogation of the boys (considered water boarding but they cracked and confessed before it became necessary). But still have some missing items, that I will probably find at the bottom of the pile in the room we use for storing clothes, vacuume cleaners, broken toys, light bulbs, christmas decorations etc...diving in tomorrow once SWMBO has vacated the place...if not heard from by 1800 hrs tomorrow, please alert rescue authorities...
    (Roald Amundsen)